Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosier_bob

More 'Cheater' Scapes

Here are a couple in bloom today. They are either newly planted or in pots, so they are definitely not part of the normal daylily season, which hasn't started here yet in Indiana. Here in Terre Haute, we peak around the fourth of July in most years.

I'll have to post pictures individually since they're on my desktop.

First up is Parrot Moon, newly planted. Fairly plain form compared to the one on the AHS database, but this one certainly isn't established yet. Maybe more ruffles later!

This post was edited by hoosierbob on Wed, May 28, 14 at 15:50

Comments (10)

• HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a bloom on Magic Attraction, Salter 2005. Not bad for a new plant.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another Sea of Cinders. I posted one a few days back that was more orange. The color has gotten richer since then. I like all the color variations. This one is in a pot....I may put it in the ground to try its hardiness. This one is a Salter 2010

Original Author
    9 years ago

Lastly, here is Kennesaw Horizon, also in a pot, and looking gorgeous today. It's a Waldrop 2011.

I forgot to credit Trimmer for Parrot Moon (the first picture above). It's a 2010 intro. If you check it out on the AHS site you'll see why I had to have it.

Bob

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

LOL, laughed at the term "cheater blooms". Nice pics and no matter when or how they bloom they are blooms which we all can enjoy seeing.

Julia

• Nancy
    9 years ago

I agree with Julia, I enjoy the blooms even if they are "cheater", these are all wonderful. I think I like Sea of Cinders best, but not a dud in the bunch.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

I'm a coral/orange fan and Sea of Cinders is on my long list. It's a gorgeous color in your picture - right up my alley. I couldn't find a source for it when I did a quick run through. Where did you get yours?..........Maryl

Original Author
    9 years ago

Maryl,

We got Sea of Cinders from Guidry's, but it looks like they don't have it any more. My plant did make about four proliferations late in the year last fall and they're small, but I'm keeping them well fertilized. The original plant (potted) was covered with pods last year, so it hasn't grown a lot. It's incredibly fertile.

I'd be willing to part with one later this year if they get big enough to have some substance and be 'shippable'. We had talked about offering them on the Lily Auction anyway once they got bigger. My guess is that it either is tender or may not be popular because of it's color. I love yellow/orange/coral and think S of C is gorgeous, but some people act like they've smelled a skunk when they see an orange daylily. BTW - I grow several different varieties of H. fulva and like them, too. I also ordered a number of oranges from Paul Owens this spring (Slightly Different Nursery) and can't wait for them to bloom. I love the HOT colors!

Anyway, my email should be enabled, so if you don't find a source, drop me a note in a couple months to follow up. I'd love to help out a fellow Okie...I was born in Elk City and have many fond memories of grade school in Oklahoma City.

Bob

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Hey Bob! thanks for the nice note from one Okie to another. Coincidently I have lived all over Indiana; Muncie, Rochester, Logansport, Lafayette, Indianapolis etc. I remember how downright pretty fall can be in Indiana....Thanks for the info on Sea of Cinders. From the other picture I've seen of it, it looked like it may have a low bud count and a smaller flower then what people like (6 inches and over seems to be the norm now). The bud count is not listed in the AHS registration data btw. I appreciate the source, but after my one experience getting rust from a southern vendor I shy away from any nursery that doesn't have cold enough winters to kill it off. I hope you post more pictures of it and keep us updated on how it performs. I know our climates are different, but how colorfast/sunfast it is would be nice to know too.......That picture of yours has me drooling once again........Maryl

• shive
    9 years ago

Sea of Cinders jumps out and grabs me the most of your cheaters.

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

I too lie Sea of cinders, and I am another orange daylily fan, so no surprise.

kay