Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Some seedlings I like

shive
11 years ago

Here are some of the seedlings that have bloomed so far that I like. Temperature really does affect the color on daylilies. See the seedling examples.

PRECIOUS CANDY X TWILIGHT ILLUSION #1 opened last week when temperatures were cooler. This is a two-year-old seedling with first blooms this year. It has 4-way branching and 17 buds.

Here is the same seedling yesterday after two days of daytime temps in the mid-90s.

INTO THE MYSTIC X SYMPHONY OF PRAISE with an early bloom during the cooler temps. This is another two-year-old blooming for the first time. It already has a rebloom scape coming!

Here is that seedling two days later when temps turned torrid.

AWESOME APPLIQUE X BLAZING SADDLES wowed me with its first bloom. This one-year-old had clear lavender petals with a dark purple feathered eye.

Today, after two days of extrememly hot temps, AA X BS had cream lavender petals and a lighter purple eye. While the colors were not as pleasing to me, I liked the way two of the petals were pinching and all of the sepals were curled back.

Here is DUST BE DIAMONDS X TUXEDO JUNCTION #1 on its first flower. This is a semievergreen two-year-old seedling that has increased from one fan to four since last year.

Here's how DBD X TJ #1 looks blooming in the heat.

Here are a few other seedlings that have bloomed in the past week who do not seem to vary quite as much with the temps.

SMOOTH JAZZ X MORT MORSS - I was hoping for something round with teeth. But I like this narrow petaled bloom with the blue eye quite well.

BLACK FALCON RITUAL X ROBES FOR THE QUEEN - Again I was going for teeth, but so far haven't seen any.

And some others:

COMANCHE MAGIC X NEVER BEEN KISSED (2-year-old bitone)

EVENING ENCHANTMENT X GILDED KNIGHT (5-year-old extra early evergreen)

Debra

Comments (16)

• marricgardens
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Those seedlings are amazing! Of them all my favorites are AWESOME APPLIQUEBLACK FALCON RITUAL X ROBES FOR THE QUEEN, X BLAZING SADDLES and INTO THE MYSTIC X SYMPHONY OF PRAISE. Marg

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    11 years ago

Okay after going over them for a while, I've decided that I like seedling #1 the best today. Tomorrow (or even an hour from now), I may change my mind, lol. They're all pretty cha-cha.

• dipsandtets
    11 years ago

I imagine it must be a blast to see seedlings bloom.

AA X BS is my favorite and I'm interested in hearing if it continues to pinch.

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marg - Thanks for your comments. I can tell you like the purples.

Brittie - Seedling #1 is one of the roundest seedlings I've produced. I'm excited about that one because it has such good bud count right our of the gate. Most of my seedlings first bloom with under 10 buds, and then increase or even double buds in subsequent years.

dipsandtets - It is exciting and surprising to see the seedlings bloom. It's just like Christmas every time one opens for the first time.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

You have some beautiful seedlings...I have to tell you, I like AA X BS better in the hot temps colors of cream lavender and purple eye. I would be turning cartwheels with those seedlings. Lovely.
    kay

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

What fun! I can just imagine how exciting it is when all of these surprise packages open. I am reminded of the delightful song from 'The Fantastiks':

... but with projeny, it's hodge podgeny. You don't know until the sprout is nearly grown, just what you've sown.

Christine

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Dang DEBRAJean

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

These ate all winners and keepers. Very pretty.

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

What a fantastic group of seedlings. I think they are all great. So interesting to see the change that the heat makes. I knew it changed flower color, but in the first two the throat is so much greeener in the heat. My favorite two are AAxBS and BFRxRFTQ, but the first two sound like they'll be good performers so that's special. I also like the last one--especially for and EE and it looks like it increases well.
    Val

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to all for your comments!

Christine - That line from the Fantastiks song could definitely be raising seedlings.

Debra

• deangreen
    11 years ago

AA X BS is a wonderful flower! wow

• Nancy
    11 years ago

How did I miss this thread yesterday? You have wonderful looking seedlings, I especially love AWESOME APPLIQUE X BLAZING SADDLES, just gorgeous. The first one is really pretty too & with a nice bud count. I like the colors & shape of SMOOTH JAZZ X MORT MORSS. Actually, they are all really nice!

• houstmag
    11 years ago

WOW I love them all stunning seedlings.
    Linda

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dean and Linda - Thanks for your comments!
    Nancy - Smooth Jazz X Mort Morss was one of those unexpected good things. I really like the looks of it and will use it as a bridge plant in my UF hybridizing.

Debra

• mizellie
    11 years ago

Nice seedling you have there Debra. My fav of course is
    AWESOME APPLIQUE X BLAZING SADDLES. I'll bet you aren't surprised...Ellie

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ellie - I'm not surprised AA x BS is your pick. I'm surprised so many others like it so much.

Debra