Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another newbie question

Posted by GDJCB zone 5/WA (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 12 at 14:37

Hello,

I would like to extend thanks to those who graciously offered advice from my first post here. Through this forum I have found The Lily Auction site and what appears to be a unlimited amount of beautiful daylilies. I was wondering if anyone could offer advice on a reliable seller(s) who auction daylilies that will do well in zone 5.

Thanks in advance,
Gale

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another newbie question

Gale, I buy from the auction (do I ever?!) but can't advise on your zone. You are very wise to check with others who share your climate. Good luck and have a ball.
kay

o

Gale you could try Mike Grossman at Northern Lights Daylily he sells on the Lily Auction as mike144mann he also has a website I don't know the address though you could do a search for it, he doesn't sell off the website I believe but you can at least see what he offers. Northen Lights I believe is in MN so you should have no problem with plants in Zone 5.
Linda

o

Look for plants from northern more hybridizers. Emmerich, Norris, Korth, Mason, Culver to name only a few.

o

Here is my two cents worth. I have bought a few daylilies from the Lily Auction. First look where they are coming from. I understand southern growers are apt to have the dreaded "rust". You don't want that. I then look how much shipping costs are. I alway try to buy several at a time to save on shipping. I also look at his past record. He/she should have a near 100% approval rating.
I am in Zone 7 North Ga. but pretty close to Zone 6. We get weather no colder than -5. I keep my lilies mulched with mini pine bark. I would buy from any of the states around me, Alabama, TN., Mississippi, but I also buy from further north, Ohio, PA, etc. I bought two from abundadantlilies or something like that and he was great to deal with. When you win answer their email immediately and send your money soon. If you have a PayPal account, that's even better. Good luck. Sarah

o

I'm in zone 5 too but in Illinois. I have ordered from Solaris Farms in Wisconsin a few times. The prices are good and he sends beautiful plants and nice bonuses. I figure if they grow in Wisconsin they should grow in Illinois and so far so good.

www.solarisfarms.com

o

thank you all for your responses, I appreciate them.

o

thank you all for your responses, I appreciate them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here