Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about branching

Posted by ngraham z6 KY (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 12 at 14:46

I mentioned yesterday how one of my seedlings has lots of buds. I counted 22 & 18 yesterday, but I went out this morning & realized I left off a branch on one scape & actually has at least 27 buds. Looks like there may still be more developing so possibly 30. I don't know if you can tell much by my picture, can you tell me how many branches this would be?
Photobucket

From this seedling
peachy seedling

Another new seedling bloomed today
2010 Seedling

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Branching

Wonderful branching! I will leave it to the experts to tell you how many branches there are. The flower is very pretty also!
Christine

o
RE: Question about branching

It must be either 4 or 5? Pretty seedlings!

o

Ask Debra and Floota and Julia. I know they know all about them...Lynx too, Avedon, Ellie, probably Rita for sure. I know I have misse some names here. Experts.

I have decided I know nothing. All of my blathering about blooming slowing down and peak being over...then I walk out to a bloom fest this morning. I know nothing!
kay

o

This may or may not actually jibe with the AHS definition, but my opinion is that there are 3 true side branches and some top branching. In any case, that scape has excellent branching.

Nate

o

You have three-way branching. Whatever branching is on top - (y (two) or w(three) - counts as ONE for the official bud count. So you have a y for top branching and then two side laterals for three-way branching.

Debra

o

Thanks everyone! I've often wondered about branching, it seems very confusing. I really wasn't sure whether to call it 3 or 4 :) I'm just very excited, I don't get bud counts like this in my garden. Could be a one time thing though. I have some plants that supposedly get 30 or so but I'm lucky to get 20 buds.

o

I would be super excited if I had those bud counts too! Twenty-seven on a scape is terrific! The most buds I've ever gotten on one of my seedlings is 23, and that was in year we had the flood.

Debra

o

I'd certainly be doing the happy dance about that one. A pretty face on a great plant. What could be better? I'll never figure out branching either.
Val

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here