Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missylin_gw

Taken by Storm

missylin
11 years ago

I've had these daylilies for several years, but never have they been this prolific!

Comments (24)

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    11 years ago

Well they sure are putting on a show for you! Nice color!

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Wow, they look great!

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

They looking fantastic.

• missylin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so very much Brittie, Rita, and Jean! This year they have really come into their own. Many of my other daylilies seem to have stopped. Hope they rebloom. A few have not started yet, like my Blue Eyed Butterfly. it's looking a little puny, too. ?? Any suggestions?

• Nancy
    11 years ago

They are really putting on a nice show for you, love them with the salvia. I have several salvias mixed in my beds too.

• missylin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much N Graham! Those are perennial salivas. I've actually had to cut them way back, as they were crowding out everything else. I had petunias, pansies, and a few other things in the bed, but they are pretty much gone due to the heat. I do have some pentas on the other side of the bed. My daylilies on that side have not begun to bloom yet.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

A really nice cluster of daylily blooms. I can see why you were impressed....Maryl

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Those are really lovely.
    kay

• mizellie
    11 years ago

They are not only very pretty but seem to be profilic. That's a good thing. What's the blue flower? Ellie

• shive
    11 years ago

They look beautiful in a clump!

Debra

• missylin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much, Mary. I've been growing daylilies for a few years now, but still feel like a novice. I still am afraid to separate clumps, and am still in the learning process.

• missylin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much, Kay. Ellie, blue are called blue salvia,. They die back a little, here, but are around year round. I had to cut them way back as they were crowding out everything in the flower bed. I really need to cut them down on the other side of the flower bed (it's a round bed) as they will hide the daylilies on the other side of the bed, when they start blooming.

• missylin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much, Debra!

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Very impressive clump shots. :-).

BLUE-EYED BUTTERFLY you said was puny. Do you mean the fans are puny or the scapes are puny? How long have you had it?

Julia

• missylin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Julia,
    I had to cut down all of my daylilies in March due to the "r" word- rust. I had to really douse them some kind of recommended stuff, and then it was recommended to cut them down to the ground. Most of them are bigger than before, but the size of the blue eyed butterfly plants are still small, and they basically have always been small compared to many of my daylilies. I believe the BEB plants are about 2 years old. Suggestions??

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Your zone is different than mine but I have no problem with the fan sizes here. I started with a double in 2009 and now have over 10 fans and it always has multiple scapes.

Are you fertilizing it? I would think about moving it to a new location and see if it makes a difference

Julia

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

I love your red, white and blue garden. I think your salvia is the same as one that I have: salvia farinacea. It's not supposed to be winter hardy here, but somebody forgot to tell that to the plants, because they come back every year. I find that other types of blue salvia (may night and carodonna) flop, smell bad and you have to deadhead, but not the farinacea.
    Christine

• houstmag
    11 years ago

What a bloom machine for you.
    Linda

• missylin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Julia, i have given it several fertilizers and it gets lots of sun. ?? My house is on a curved road so I'm not sure what direction it gets but it gets a good bit of sun. I have been giving it organic fertilizer + milorganite+ spraying or watering with Maxicrop. What suggestion do you have for fertilizer?

• missylin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Christine. In person the "blue" salvia is more purple to my eye, but is called blue. Most of the things in the bed are purple tones and the "Taken by Storm" I thought would be purple. When it bloomed the first time I didn't like the color with the rest of the bed, but now I do. From some vantage points the bed looks red, white, and blue and from others white with different tones of purple from the pentas, petunias (which are pretty much gone) saliva, etc. My white things will be gone soon. Had to pull several flox out today, well beyond their prime. I'm going to have to see what the nursery has to fill in the empty spots. I wish I could keep the "red, white, and blue" til the fourth of July, but I don't think I'll have Taken By Storm still blooming that long.

• missylin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Linda. Wish they'd bloom all summer. :) This the first year they've been a "bloom machine" like this. I'm really thrilled.

• missylin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Linda. Wish they'd bloom all summer. :) This the first year they've been a "bloom machine" like this. I'm really thrilled.

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

My BEB, which did really well in the country, is now somewhat puny and has finally bloomed. It's very late for it. Is it getting enough sun?

Nancy

• missylin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

nancy, the daylilies around BEB are doing okay. I did have to cut it down to the ground in March and treat it for bad rust. So is it possible that had delayed it.? The Taken By Storm were cut all the way down too, but they rebounded very quickly. I wonder if I should try a different fertilizer. I've been using organic and added some dynamite, I think it's called plus I've been using this sea weed stuff. I wonder if I should get my soil in the bed checked. It's made from mainly pine bark but lots of other good things. Afer I had the bed made the nursery told me I should not have used so much of their soil, but mixed with more of my own. But my own soil (sand mainly) has so many weeds in it, I figured I'd start from scratch.