Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

The View From The Porch

newyorkrita
12 years ago

Pictures taken today from a point of view I don't usually do. Standing on my front porch looking down toward the steet. I must say the view from the porch is really pretty.

Looking at the yard.

Main view on the sunny side. Daylily row in front of lots of roses coming into bloom. The tulips that loked so pretty this spring are just brown dying folliage.

Roses Closer

Turn to the very end of the porch and look over were the blackberries grow. Daylilies,coneflowers and perennials in front of blackberries.

Look to the shady side of the yard accoss the walkway.

Move Over some and you see the pond. I am still standing on the porch.

From that end of the porch looking to the driveway. My annual garden and the Lupine Garden. Lupines were beaten up and broken by last nights rain. Look way in the back over the fence and you see my neighbors big lawn.

I am going to post clickable links to more pictures right after this post. Roses at the rose gallery and Iris shots at Cottage Gardens.

Comments (26)

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Florabundaville right by the sidewalk in these pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Front Yard Roses at Rose Gallery

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tall Bearded Iris are featured in these pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris Garden Shots

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

Rita;Your roses are just gorgeous,Love that Bee Bop,awww, thats terrible one of you Lupines is broken,The others still look very nice,Loved all the pictures.

Jean

• mikesc
    12 years ago

So healthy and lush--thanks for sharing!

Mike

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Your garden is beautiful! Everything looks so good. Please send that bad rain to me! We are so dry! Your lawn and everything look so healthy!
    kay

• Nancy
    12 years ago

Your view is amazing! I don't know how you can get anything done, much less all that you do. EVerything works really well together, the iris, roses, clematis. And those wonderful lupines.

• sunnyjay
    12 years ago

I love your yard. Your gardens are all so great looking.
    Jason

• Cindy zone 6a
    12 years ago

That is a great view from the porch, all just lovely. I did end up added a few more Lupine afterall!!
    cindy

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kay- I wasn't expecting the overnight rain. But the day is bright and sunny.

Nacy- Trying to make it cottage garden, at least using my favorite plants.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kay- I wasn't expecting the overnight rain. But the day is bright and sunny.

Nacy- Trying to make it cottage garden, at least using my favorite plants.

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

Get the ice tea ready i'm taking the next plane from Calif to come sit on your porch with you!! Oh wait,was i supposed to wait for that invitation??? LOL,LOL
    Kathi

• baileycat
    12 years ago

I love it. You certainly have made it look like an English cottage garden.
    Maizey

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cindy and Jean- The lupines have looked better but I can't complain.

Mike, thanks. Lots of rain this spring.

Jason- The yard is the result of 10 years of hard work so far but I just love it.

Kathi- Believe it or not I usually sit in the back. Going to have to sit out on the porch more now that the roses have started.

Maizey- I use my favorite plants but want a look were lots is going on :-)

• Waitforspring
    12 years ago

It all looks fantastic. Don't know how you keep up with it all. You have so many great plants. I was surprised to see that you still have a little grass left LOL.
    Val

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Val- Very little grass and most of it is in the area there next to the driveway.

• katlynn719
    12 years ago

Rita, Everything looks perfect - great job! For some reason I thought your pond was in the backyard? Now I know different. Thanks for sharing.
    Kathy

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Maybe you thought so because it is surrounded by shrubbery so it doesn't seem like it would be in the front yard. But its my main pond and biggest, the 350 gallon stocktank that is in ground. I do have two other tiny ponds, both 35 gallons, one is in the side yard in my hedgerow and the other is actually upstairs way in the backyard.

• sherryocala
    12 years ago

Oh, Rita, your neighbors must really love you! What a perfect, perfect garden!! So much beauty in such a compact - and sloped - space. Magnificent! You are to be commended!! I love it.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    12 years ago

What a view. What's the orange flower in the border next to your Lupines? Striking combination....Maryl

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sherry- I have gotten lots of compliments from the neighbors. As for lots of plants, my gardening theory is cramb them in LOL!

maryl- Those are Marigolds that I bought a flat of and planted because I needed some color summer long along in there.

• nat4b
    12 years ago

I enjoyed the pictures of your garden, especially liked that lupine bed pic. What is that tree growing in the lupine bed? And what gives that shade over the grass area there?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

nat- It is a Mulberry tree planted in a big pot which is sunk in ground. I didn't want the tree to grow big and the pot stunts its root system, though roots do grow threw the drain hole in the bottom. But it works for me.

Look on pictures five and six. You will see tree trunks which is a limbed up Blue Spruce which throws the shade.

• blue23rose
    12 years ago

Everything they said! Rita, you have a beautiful yard and definitely a green thumb:)

Vickie

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

A lovely views indeed. Enjoy your garden.

Julia

• nat4b
    12 years ago

Oh that's an interesting idea about that tree in a pot.
    I thought so about those evergreens, that they create the shade. The reason I asked, I saw the lilies there, so they get some shade too. I was wondering, because last year I had to plant some lily bulbs in a shady area.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Julia- I actually sat out on the porch and looked at the garden today for all of about ten minutes LOL!

Nat- I had the tree limbed up so that I could plant in the area under it and also put the pond in there. So it does throw less shade than it used too.

The way the sun comes around there is early morning sun on that garden were the lillies are. They just lean because the shrubs in back need a good trimming.