Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Pictures from the past few days.

newyorkrita
11 years ago

Been very busy here planting. Meanwhile the garden is jumping in color from all the blooms here. Mostly Clematis and Tall Bearded Iris. I also planted lots of veggies this year and more to do.

{{gwi:52428}}

Peas in a pot. That is what you do when you have no room. You plant things in pots!

My blackberries are in bloom.

Some Clematis on one of my front yard clematis towers.

Another clematis view and this time you can see the house where the House Wrens are nesting.

The Fruit Punch Poppies are blooming.

{{gwi:678117}}

A little corner of the front yard with some iris blooming in their mini garden. To the right and also behind them are roses that are not yet in bloom. To the left of them is a daylily row were I have mostly late bloomers but some really earlies like FOREVER STELLA and VERNAL TU-TONE.

{{gwi:678116}}

Tower Square iris garden with iris and columbines blooming.

{{gwi:678119}}

The middle of the big backyard bed is a mass of blooming iris.

But look closely at the left hand corner and you see one of my late blooming daylily rows. You can also see the lilies that I planted last spring in amoung them getting ready to bloom. I really like how that turned out. I must admit most people would not have done this as I had to squeeze those lily bulbs in there between daylily clumps that are already too close together.

{{gwi:678121}}

Closep of part of the iris bed.

Comments (14)

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

Spectacular!

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

WOW!!! i love your pictures of your yard and gardens.And Love that red clematis. the cleamtis is soo pretty. The iris bed is pretty, too,The dark orange iris looks very pretty in that mass planting.You have a lot of iris, dont you,

Jean

• booberry85
    11 years ago

Your flowers are so pretty. I love the pops of color in your iris beds!

• bourret
    11 years ago

Your irises are stunning Rita! I wish I could grow the newer cultivars but they're just not hardy enough here.

Lisa

• mizellie
    11 years ago

Wow Rita. You have some fabulous color going on there.. Love the Irises...Ellie

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Absolutely stunning Rita
    Linda

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

I have 2 Blueberry bushes in pots and one was full of blueberrys in the early afternoon, when I was leaving with a daughter to go loook at some plants,and thought when I come back, I have to get a little bowl and pick my berrys, when I came back I didnt have a blue one no where and have not seen any more either. The racoons found them and been eating them.Wish I had some thing to put on a few that would make them coons very sick for a few hours.

Jean

• shive
    11 years ago

The irises and clematis vines are glorious! What a beautiful spring you are having!

Debra

• Nancy
    11 years ago

The iris beds are so pretty, you know I love those, that red/fushia clematis is absolutely stunning. I keep scrolling back to look at it.

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

Rita, your photos are so enjoyable to look at. You and I are so similiar in how we garden. I also tuck in lily bulbs between my already-crowded daylilies! Like you, I love so many different plants that my yard is a smorgasbord of every imaginable combination all snugly planted. I think if some fancypants gardeners came and looked around they would tell me I have TOO many plants in TOO small an area...Haha. But it works for me, and obviously you as well. I've thought of you lately because I just planted a whole bunch of new late-blooming daylilies. A lot are Olallie cultivars, some Hibbards and others. I bought some late-blooming intros from Christine Weitz of Gladsome Gardens in NY that looked nice and won't mind my cold winters. This fall I won't feel so depressed that the season is over, thanks to you!

Your iris bed is my favorite photo of these. Just stunning!

Celeste

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Your garden is lovely, as always. Is that a white hibiscus in the first photo? What is the pinkish colored iris in the corner of the front yard? I love the caramel colors and dark purples together.

The garden is beautiful now and it will continued being beautiful until winter. What more could you ask.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for the kind comments. You all know how much I love my garden.

Those white flowers are blackberry blooms. And I have a lot of clematis now as two years ago I think I got the crazies to add lots of them and so I did.

Kay, that pinkish iris is OKAPI POPPY.

Celeste, I know I may have a lot of daylilies but I could never be happy with just daylilies, or just roses or just iris or just lilies. Well, you get the idea. Each flower is part of the entire design. Taken me years and it is on such a much smaller scale than what you have ackomplished. I just don't know how you managed to create such a paradise as you have there but more power to you! I love your garden.

• daylilyluver
    11 years ago

Rita,

would you please share the names of two iris in the last 2 pictures. The one's I'm interested in are the rust and orange ones. :)

Thanks
    Chris

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The darker more Copper collored iris in a big clump is GOLDEN PANTER. The yellow in the backround of the last picture is BEAUTY BECOMES HER. And the golden one in the front of that last pic is FIERY FIGGURE.