Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

The patio, the front and daylily slope

newyorkrita
10 years ago

The azaleas are blooming off my back yard patio.

Comments (21)

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My snow peas that I planted in pots are there also.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The front yard daylily bed looks nice and green. The daylilies are growing and the tulips are blooming.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The daylily slope at the side of the driveway has tulips planted along in there this year. Daffs up on top.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am really into veggie gardening again this year. I am trying zucchini and eggplant for the first time and of course my tomatoes are back.

I had to plant the zucchini in pots, no room.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And my tomato plants are all in ground and so are my peppers. I have tomatoes out front in front of my porch again. Last year tomato plants here got 7 feet high.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

WowSpring has really sprung at your house.The Azaleas are very pretty.Mine has already bloomed and no blooms left now but they were pretty while they lasted.Your peas are really looking good, too..And the drive way slope is really pretty.Love them red tulips there. so pretty..Looks like you going to have lots of veggies thie year too,and new ones also.I also planted some green bell peppers and some sweet banana peppers, too..I still have 2 flower beds to get weeded out,and they will be a chore as the weeds are a foot tall and one bed its almost all clover that came up.The yard man came last week to cut the grass and was saying my grass grows so fast,he will have to come back this wek and cut it again,and asked where has all this clover came from.i told him I have no idea, but I hope it gos back to where it came from,he says really, it has almost killed all my pretty grass in the back yard.Told him yep,and can not walk back there either, That clover wraps around your feet and will throw you down and I do not need to fall again and break some thing else...I had to backtrack and look at your peas again,they look so pretty in them pots.

jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jean, do be careful, no falling.

And I do have lots more veggies this year than last. I have peppers back and zuchini and eggplant is new for me. Plus I have brocoli this spring and onions I am growing from sets. Besides the snow peas I have snap peas and I have cowpeas still to plant when it gets warmer. And my yard long beans. Those love the heat. I have some cucumbers planted and others I am starting from seed. I also have melons both planted and seed started. Should be a very good year for veggies in my garden.

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

I love the azaleas. Very pretty pic. hmmm, should I add some here? LOL. The tulips look so colorful.

My veggie garden is mostly planted already and the herbs have been transplanted to their new spot . Now just waiting to see what mother nature throws at us over the next couple of weeks.

Julia

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

I have some cucumbers, too growing.dont eat onions much to bother with them.I might average eating one maybe two onions a year and maybe not that many..I am looking forward to the tomatoes.

jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jean, I love onions and I love scallions which are the green tops in the summer. A great addition to a summer salad.

Julia, yes please post your Azalea pictures.

• timberohio
    10 years ago

I still have all my veggies in the greenhouse. with the exception of lettace and carrots. Got them planted this week. I've got so many projects going on I don't even have the main garden area tilled up yet. I may just decide to grow every thing in pots and not even mess with a garden. Temps are suppose to be dropping again tonight close to freezing. So I'm glad I didn't get anything move out of the greenhouse yet.

Andrea

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Beautiful as always. I've tried growing tomatoes a few times and never had much luck.
    Linda

• Nancy
    10 years ago

I'm glad I was prepared, all that color could blind a person :) So beautiful! My 1 azalea was especially nice this year, my rhododendrons are getting ready to bloom soon, but they never seem so full of blooms as the azalea.
    Reminds me when I go out today to look for the yard long beans, I want to be sure & try them this year. I just have a few tomatoes & peppers planted right now, but I bought another tomato plant & some cucumber plants yesterday. I sure will have nothing to what you put out! DH hates any food that remotely resembles healthy, so it is pretty much just me. Lots of gardeners around here, so I have no place to send the surplus :)

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ha, I want to get everyone started growing some veggies also ha-ha. But yes, the weather has been too cold in many parts of the country.

Andrea, I do grow many veggies in pots and it usually works well. Works especially well for peas for me but this year I have peas, brocoli, onions, eggplant, zuchini, lettuce, melons, bok choy and zen greens all in pots.

Linda, you you grow you tomatoes in the winter? too hot there in your zone come summer.

Nancy, I love fresh veggies. I love to go out in the summer and just pick what I want and make dinner with it right away. Best way to eat!

My neightbors don't garden, at least not veggies so it is very easy to give away the extra veggies around here.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Beautiful as always, Rita. The azaleas are long gone here. The tulips just keep getting better and better.

I decided to use that strip (zinnia strip) for veggies instead of flowers this year. Several very southern veggies. I have rutabaga, and speckled butter beans planted, the okra is in the greenhouse, and cucumbers and tomatoes of course, plus several different peppers. I also have artichokes, but it will be next year before I get any from them. The lettuce and onions are doing great. -

kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh wow. that is great. I will miss seeing those lovely zinnias but glad to hear that you are getting into veggie gardening. There is nothing like your own fresh picked veggies.

• celeste/NH
    10 years ago

Very lovely, Rita! All your hard work planting those bulbs is paying off. I never need to plant vegetables (and wonder where I would if I wanted to) because my dear Dad always has the most prolific garden and shares everything with us. He's turning 90 and is back out there getting the garden started again. I held my breath the last couple years, thinking it would be too much for him, especially after he broke his hip.

I always enjoy your posts and photos so keep them coming!

Celeste

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Celeste I remember your dad and his garden from your posts last year. He is one amazing gentleman. And his garden is just out of this world. I don't know how he can do it all but God Bless him!

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

No pics as I don't have any but your photos are tempting me to buy some. I plan to redo a bed nearest to the house so Azaleas might be a good fit.

Julia

• lesmc
    10 years ago

Very pretty,Rita. I always look forward to your photos. I can`t imagine planting all of those tulips. So much work. I tried to plant tulips this year, 120 to be exact. 26 came up! I don`t know what happened...so I will just try and enjoy your and others. Lesley

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

What a spectacle for passersby!

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Fri, May 10, 13 at 20:58

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions