Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Blue?

Posted by sunset_shepherdess 3 (My Page) on
Fri, May 30, 08 at 15:12

In your opinions, what is the best blue daylily out there so far? I'm looking for good blues, as blue is my mothers favorite color :) Pictures encouraged! :D Thanks!

Rayna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Blue?

I don't know of any "blue" daylily, but there sure are some with blueish eyes... Here are some.

Barn Owl
Photobucket

Little Blue Belle
little blue belle

Little Blue Bell shade
Photobucket
Out of the Blue
out of the blue

Star Child (kind of grey-blue)
star child

Photobucket

Blue Elf (blue as I have- and not always this good)
Photobucket

Photobucket

Navy Blues
Photobucket

Most Blues in my garden get bluer when it is cold.

o

I have a lot of daylilies with alledged blue eyes. Most are NOT truely blue. And many that are, are so only in certain temperatures, certain light, and when the moon and stars align just right. LOL These are the three with the most consistently blue eyes in my garden.

NAVY BLUES dip miniature

ADA MAY MUSICK tet extra large flower

BLUE EYED BANDIT tet unusual form

Debra in Nashville, TN

o

Debra and Fairysoapgirl,
Are there any reasonably priced evergreen daylilies with blue eyes? Every time I start googling the blues I see, I am disappointed that they are not evergreen and way over my budget. BTW, what kind of weather and light, soil, etc. brings out the blue? Nothing can be done about the aligning of Jupiter and Mars .

o

Yeah, I know there aren't any "real" blue, but would like to get as close as possible. Thanks for the choices so far.

o

Oh yeah, and I forgot to add, Blue Elf, Navy Blues and Little Blue Belle were ones already added to my list, but I didn't have the others yet, thanks so much :) I need a bigger yard! :D

o

Missy,
The bluer the daylily, usually the greater the demand. This is a hard color to get out of a daylily. Navy Blues, Out of the Blue, Barn Owl and Star Child I got for $20 each, but it takes some searching to find them, and they all came from different sellers. Little Blue Belle and Blue Elf I got directly from the Stamiles (Hybridizer), and although they were expensive, they sent me really nice plants (as a side note, if you get these two, the fans are smaller because they are minis, so they will never be big. But, I got a nice clump of fans - very healthy). If you want to see a really expensive blue that basically no one can get their hands on, look at Piece of Sky.

o

Ah, but if you read the description carefully, PIECE OF SKY is not typically blue. Roy Woodhall's description is quite explicit: it is typically "lavender-purple with a grayed lavender-blue eye" and "it can also take on tones of pink depending on the temperature."

http://www.daylilytrader.com/moldovan_gardens_2007.htm

Of course, I'd like to see it in bloom when it's a day during which "everything goes just right..."

o

Lin - Here are a couple evergreens with blue eyes. Both of these look great in the mornings, but the blue eyes fade in the bright sun. That's one of the problems with many blue-eyed cultivars. So you need to plant them where they have afternoon shade.

CRYSTAL BLUE PERSUASION - $12 from Marietta Gardens

GINNY MITCHELL - price is still in the $30 range because of its breeding value

Debra

o

Hi,
I'm no expert by any means, but last summer when I was visiting various gardens I got to see the DL "Lavender Blue Baby" live. All I can say is WOW about that flower. I had seen pictures of the bloom and thought that they were obviously touched up; however, that color is real and one of the most electric combos I've seen in a DL. It's more lavender in the eye than blue, I know, but I have seen other photos where the eye was significantly closer to blue than what you see in the photo linked below. I know it is in high demand now and probably expensive everywhere.

Here's a link to a nice photo:

http://roycroftdaylilies.com/image/Lavender-Blue-Baby-3.jpg

Mike in SC, Zone 8

o

Mike - Lavender Blue Baby is a pretty one. I would love to have tet Lavender Blue Baby if I could find it at a decent price.

Lin - Here is another blue eyed one I have that's evergreen and in the $15 price range now. Delta Blues has a really good bud count. It looks better when the temps are cool, so it's at its best in the morning. The blue eye looks grayer in the afternoon.

DELTA BLUES

Debra

o

Soooo...does anyone have any of these available? :D I'm not so sure about evergreens, because being in zone 3, they tend not to do real well, but semi-ev's and dormants I'm very interested in. Thanks! :)

Rayna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here