Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

OT: Been busy making a new veggie bed.

newyorkrita
11 years ago

It started out as a new bed for tomato plants but then I added to it.

First I got eight bags of compost and positioned them were I wanted. I had to get them exactly right as I didn't have lots of room there. Then I put bricks around them to outline the new bed. You can see the bricks started in the picture.

Next I finished the brick border and set stakes exactly were I wanted them. Only pounded them in enough for them to stand up while I finished with the garden.

Laid newspaper directly on grass and dummped compost bags and then leveled the garden. The white markers are where each tomato plant is going to go. I finished pounding in the stakes so that they are all of an even height.

Eight tomato plants planted.

Then more veggies added. Lettuce at both ends and then in the middle celery and brocoli rabe alternating. Radish seeds will be planted at the outside edges the long way. I have chive and dill seed also that I would love to fit in there.

Closeup of the middle.

Then I had three tomato plants leftover so I planted them in this "patio grow bag planter". Looks more like a sack to me than a planter, ha-ha!

Comments (7)

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

You must really love tomatoes to plant that many just for you..But, your lirrlw garden patch looks very nice.ThemPlants will grow good in them grow bags..Wish our garden centers would have bags of compost, but,I have only found some one time years ago,and never found no more.,and that was at Home DEpot where I ofund some,and now they dont have it no more.

jean

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Rita were do you find the time and energy to do all your gardening I wish I had your energy, it is a great looking veggie garden though.
    Linda

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jean, we will see about the baggy planter but I wanted to try it.

Linda, I just love to putter around in my garden. The trouble is I get all these ideas which only leads to extra work LOL! But I love to have home grown tomatoes in the summer.

Besides the tomatoes and greens I have peas planted and cucumbers and plan to start lots of beans. Already planted the pole green beans and ordered chinese yard long bean seeds, three types. Never had them before so we will see how they do and how I like them.

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

I know what you mean about home-grown tomatoes, Rita. Some years back, before the daylily bug hit, I bought seven big pots and planted tomatoes in them. We had the most delicious tomatoes that summer - we ate tomato sandwiches as often as they got ripe. But then along came the daylilies, and I forgot all about veggie gardening.

Nancy

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Heck. I thought it would have to be on the roof or on the driveway. You have been holding out on space...here I thought you were all planted up! My tomatoes are planted among the flowers. Your bed looks great!
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nancy, I just can't do without at least some tomato plants each summer.

Kay, Look at that patio bag, it is on the driveway ha-ha! But seriously that new little veggie bed is very careful wedged in there between the house and driveway and between the Tower Square Iris garden and the Terraces Garden. And I have tomatoes planted along the driveway side daylily bed here also. I am so out of room, lots of veggies are going in containers but the only problem there is that I have to have some place to put the containers LOL! In fact I was a HOME DEPOT today buying big container pots for the chinese yard long beans that I will plant. Plus I already have pots of peas and a very big pot for my string pole beans.

• mizellie
    11 years ago

Rita, you go to a lot of trouble and it seems to pay off. I stick my tomato plants where I can find a hole..anyway, it all looks great!! Ellie

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x