Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gdionelli

why would a seller trim roots?

gdionelli
16 years ago

Hi,

I've heard of sellers trimming roots before shipping, but although I've ordered from a number of places in the past, I'd never received any that way. Till today, anyway. Got a couple from Klehm's Song Sparrow. Their packaging of clematis is the best, most careful I've seen (and pricey!) and the daylilies are healthy - big double and triple fans. But I would think that trimming the roots would allow also sorts of fungi and nasty things to get in. What is the advantage of trimming them?

Elizabeth

Comments (25)

• cody_mi
    16 years ago

most likely so they'll fit in the box.

• simplton
    16 years ago

Are you sure that they were trimmed and not just cut when they were dug or divided? I have seen them trimmed to fit into the box or save on weight, but that was a long time ago.

• gdionelli
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They were very neatly sliced in a straight line across the bottom. And there was plenty of space in that box - I got a couple of clematis in the same order, and they had to stuff extra paper in to fill the space.

• simplton
    16 years ago

I think I would either not buy from that seller again or ask before I did if they would do a better job. If the plant was dug from a clump with a shovel then it can't be helped...the roots will be cut in a straight line. Good sellers usually do not sell fans from a clump unless they will do a better job.

• beachlily z9a
    16 years ago

One of my favorite growers here in Central FL always trims the roots to 3-4". When I purchase from him, I always ask him to leave them untrimmed, but when I picked up my purchases roots were always trimmed very short. He believes that trimmed roots cause improved growth when the plant is transplanted. I can't prove that, because I've had good luck both ways.

• carmen_grower
    16 years ago

Roots are trimmed because,

1: They will die back anyway
    2: Do you really want to dig a four foot hole to accomodate extremely long roots that will just suck the life out of your new transplant (and die back anyway).
    3: Why would you want to pay postage to send long roots that will--- hmmmmm, die back anyway.

Foliage is cut back because it will die back and new foliage will grow. To leave the foliage is to weaken the plant. Moisture is wicked out of needlessly long foliage.

Roots are cut back because most are not true roots anyway -- just lobes that contain water. They are not important at all to a new division. The important part of your new daylily is the crown. That is the solid part that is connected to the foliage. Whether or not it has roots is not important to its viability. Yes, it looks severe when roots and foliage are cut back, but you will certainly have a more viable transplant.

• simplton
    16 years ago

We all have our theories, and we know what works for us. But as a seller, we have an obligation to deal with conditions and ideas that are not our own. I used to say that roots rot off when plants are transplanted. That was true in my growing conditions. When I started growing everything in pots, the roots did not die off. No tree roots to invade, no nematodes, no fungus, no animals or insects.

If a buyer knows that he/she wants the plants to be freshly dug and not "humanized", then why wouldn't their opinion help to determine how they spend their money? I would never sell plants that were anything but freshly dug with leaves trimmed halfway, even though the buyer may trim them back more.

Truth is, the better we grow them the less the "rules" of others apply. I avoid "justifying" my methods by "excuses", which is what I consider many opinions to be. For my growing conditions, trimmed roots would mean I would never reorder from that seller. My current opinions have evolved due to more knowledge and a broader understanding.

• Ed
    16 years ago

I regularly trim roots to a manageable length when preparing plants for shipment or sale. A long broken root is no use to the plant. After the plants are dug, cleaned and trimmed, they should be dis-infected to eliminate pathogens.

As I recall, even the great one: aka Gary Colby chronically trims roots!

• okbt
    16 years ago

I read(don't remember where) that a little rooting hormone should be added to the soak water and then use the soak water to water in the new plant. Any thoughts on this and how it would help or hurt trimmed roots? I just got 2 plants in the mail with roots trimmed to about 2 1/2 inches long.

• beachlily z9a
    16 years ago

The problem with 2 1/2" roots is that it is really, really hard to stablize the plant. I've been thru this and it's tough! The roots just stick out to the side and the plant will topple over with wind or water.

• gdionelli
    Original Author
    16 years ago

simplton, I know what you mean about roots from a clump being sliced by the shovel. That's not what these are at all. Rather than a vertical or diagonal slice they are very cleanly sliced horizonally, to about an even 4" from the crown. It certainly never occurred to me to ask the seller not to trim the roots, so I don't feel that he was going against my wishes, just that it was his usual practice.

One other thing about this shipment - they didn't smell like the usual daylily shipment. Didn't smell bad, just didn't have that certain aroma I'm used to when I open the box. He may use a different disinfectant.

• simplton
    16 years ago

I think the bottom line is that no matter what we do, the odds are that the plant will do fine. I too have trimmed roots, but to do it in a wholesale fashion makes me wonder why. Because it might help? Please. Why do we need to "help". That is what I meant by "excuses". I try to take a step back and avoid having my "theories" dictate how I will plan out systems. Doing the least is a theory too, but one that makes sense to me. The lesser we control the better.

I don't think using a smaller box or digging a smaller hole, or making the life better for a plant, or stimulating the natural course of nature is anything helpful. Send my plants with reasonable care, the less the better...the exception being disinfecting. That is necessary.

Even a pathetic dried out puny plant will grow, but give me a large healthy plant with full healthy root system...I will reorder. Otherwise, I wonder why...removing infections so a plant is saleable when it really isn't?

I understand there might be a chance of something good, but I think there is a much larger chance of something bad going on with plants that do not compare side by side. As far as the smell, it might have been bleach...or something else.

One last point...my order fron Floyd Cove was huge plants that had a residue of being soaked in fungicide, full root systems, wonderful smell, all big and green. The plants had no dieback of leaves at all...just growth, increase, and bloom in 6 weeks...on a great scape. That is worth striving for. Anything less, well, is less...no excuses.

• simplton
    16 years ago

If I get trimmed roots, I coat the wounds with a Banrot paste...a little extreme. Some use sulphur or Rootone. I don't take a chance with wounds. In the past, I have witnessed crown rot to begin in roots at times, traveling toward the crown. If the rot stops before it reaches the crown, no problem. I have seen it barely reach the crown, and all points beyond. If we don't inflict a wound ourselves, most pathogens start in the roots. It may be that a rot-resistant plant may be able to stop the rot in the root, while a rotter cannot.

• Ed
    16 years ago

okbt,
    I use 1/2 teaspoon Super-Thrive in about 3 gals of water to soak incoming plants. Then water in with the soak solution after potting or planting.

• okbt
    16 years ago

Thank you for the info. I will do that.

• shive
    16 years ago

Klehm's plants are healthy and will grow very well for you. I've bought from him for several years, but I have never noticed the roots being trimmed severely. The three I received in April had roots about 7-8 inches long.

Shive

• ladylovingdove
    16 years ago

Someone on here, I don't remember who said to dust cuts and wounds with dusting sulfer. I looked but couldn't find any at the usual stores so I found some on Ebay. I now use that. I also had shipped some daylilies and had someone email me and say "why didn't I trim my roots for shipping because one of the sellers (who will remain unnamed) trims his before shipping". I answered her with this reply, "when someone buys a plant from me the plant no longer belongs to me, I leave the roots alone unless they are hanging down a couple of feet" LOL (some from the Stamiles were actually like that). The choice is for the buyer to trim or not his own plants when he receives them. Just my opinion.

Dot

• hemboy
    16 years ago

Yer reply sounds familiar,Dot. I pot all arrivals in 2g pots(bigger if real monsters) and trim roots to about 4" and dust with sulphur. (Bonide brand 1# shaker can from Ace Hdware. Lowes er al probably have it.) Plant out after month or so, depend on season. It was Gary C who mentioned the sulphur treatment. Must be good for me, too.

What I don't understand is why do some, will say most I receive, leave up to 16" of foliage? It all gets trimmed to 8" or so here.

• ladylovingdove
    16 years ago

ROFLMAO @ Hemboy ha ha ha I do not know the answer to that one, I trim them to suit me ROFL they are after all MINE when I get them. This is too funny. :) Just kidding. I just do what Gizmo tells me to do he is the boss here.
    I think I need Nancy here to protect me but she is at MECCA, I hate her.
    Not signing my name!!

• simplton
    16 years ago

I have always told people to trim back the foliage, and I generally trim it way down because of potential rust infections. This year I left them alone since I spray them anyway. Most of the big plants that had a foot or more of foliage had no dieback of foliage, and bloomed on nice scapes. I think the fungicide might have helped.

I also noticed that Dot's plants still had what looked like the same situation. Dot, did you cut your plants foliage back?

I now hesitate to offer any wholesale advice because it may only apply to those who have no experience. I don't think there are any rules anymore if we use the state-of-the-art fungicides. In my opinion, it should be well-known that daylilies in the south should be protected since they are weak overall.

• ladylovingdove
    16 years ago

Look at him pretending to have seen my plants!! Well I never!!
    In answer to your question, I usually just trim off broken foliage, or ugly stuff at the base of the plant. Or rotting roots etc. I clean them up good then pot up and pray a lot.

I just noticed, did she say 16" of foliage? How did they get that into a box?

• carmen_grower
    16 years ago

Please let me tell you I never meant to suggest that roots get trimmed to 3 to 4 inches. That is ridiculous. When I dig a clump and it comes out 'in tact', it will have roots that are almost 2 feet long. Now I am growing in a clay soil, so I know that growing in sandy soil the roots will be even longer. It just makes no sense at all to send a plant like that through the mail.

I expect most of the plants you receive have trimmed roots and you just don't realize it. One of you mentioned roots trimmed so severe that it was hard to anchor the plant in the ground. That is not acceptable at all. I will still say though that the plant will grow just as well (as long as it can stay upright!) as one with roots 8" long.

• marbree
    16 years ago

Personally, I would prefer to trim the roots myself. If the plant is shipped well, the roots are still flexible and look good.

I've gotten the big leek-sized plants with the roots cut to just a couple of inches before, and it appears that plant will adjust in size (die back) until the roots are able to support the plant.

I think when if it is necessary, that keeping the root trimming in proportion to plant size (or longer for more growth) is a nice thing to see.

• gdionelli
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I wouldn't call the trimming I got from Klehm's severe at all - very slight, really, but obvious, nonetheless. They were big fat fans, and I'm optimistic they will do well regardless. I agree that I'd have preferred to do the trimming myself, although I never do! I wonder why he trimmed these, but not the ones Shive received in April? Anyway, I just HAD to have Fragrant Bouquet and Ruffled Strawberry Parfait, and I'm a big fan of Brother Charles' intros, and I was ordering clematis at the same time, and I've had wonderful clematis in the past from him, ... so there you have it...

• beaufort-2006
    16 years ago

can i put my two cents in 1 never buy tc 2 i dont and perhaps never will cut back on the root systems as i believe it puts to much stress on the daylilie however i will cut back on the foliage but i like to keep it about 6 to 8 in when transfering plants.some people believe in different ways of doing things with plants and also in shipping as well .