Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avedon_gw

First Daylily Flower Open

avedon_gw
10 years ago

Well, it's not the greatest bloom, but Blackeyed Stella is the first, and I do get a thrill when it happens. Unfortunately, DH and I have been scrambling to get everything set up to cover tonight, as once again we could have a frost or light freeze--this weather is unbelivable!! It's so hard, for now we have more plants and naturally, quite a few of them are too big to cover. We have found six scapes on Malaysian Marketplace, one on Wild Horses--a real shocker--and two scapes on Green Mystique. There are also quite a few on Happy Returns. Some of these can be covered, but most won't be. Anyway, here is B. Stella. There were actually 3 blooms, but one did not open well. This is the best of the group. Avedon

Comments (11)

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Six scapes on Malaysian Marketplace! So far, it has not grown like that here.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Oh no, Avedon! Malaysian Marketplace has scapes here too, along with a good many others.

It's great to get the first bloom, isn't it? Whether it is a total beauty or not, it is still great.

I've been debating whether I need to put the tomatoes in the greenhouse...I'm waiting to plant until this stupid weather ends...supposed to be mid forties tonight. They'll be okay, but I'll move them in tomorrow.

I hope it will stay warmer than forecast for you.
    kay

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

The first daylily bloom is great even if it isn't perfect.its till a bloom.geez, your daylilies are in a hurry.I have no sxcapes or anything on Malaysiam marketplace yet, sure hard to wait to see blooms on the favorites, too.its suppose to get to 35 here tonight and I am just hoping it don't get colder then that.I have tiny little tomatoes on my mater plants I would hate to lose then.I seen quite a few scapes on daylilies today when I went out a few times.it was cold out today here.. good luck,

jean

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Ummm, first bloom! It is always exciting to get that first bloom, isn't it? I don't have scapes on any daylilies except Dumortieri. It is really late this year, usually in a normal year it blooms around the 3rd week of April. No sign of scapes on anything else, but I don't usually see blooms til the last week of May on a normal year. I will enjoy all your photos til mine bloom though. One of these days I will get Malaysian Masterpiece, one that I always admire in photos & sounds like it really blooms well.

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Glad to see your getting your bloom season going. BLACK EYED STELLA is usually the first one to bloom here too.
    It is a shame how the temps keep playing with everyone. I keep wondering when we here will finally be safe from a frost. So far, we've maintained 70's with nighttime temps going to 50's and some mid 40's here. Rain coming this week or so they say.

Julia

• dementieva
    10 years ago

MALAYSIAN MARKETPLACE has already started blooming here. It has 2 fans and 2 scapes, but I will relish every flower that opens. The FFO looked excellent.

Nate

• weedyseedy
    10 years ago

I have many buds on H minor, middendorf, and dumortieriii; I think I may try some crosses for the first time in years. I'd like to try crossing the tall minor with flava (or I guess it's lilioasphadelus--but I can never spell that).I seem to have some accidental seedlings among them that I can't identify, but I think they may have been very mixed over the decades anyway. I was never certain when I bought them that the species was accurate---they may have been hybrids to start. Some seedlings I thought were middendorfii finally produced buds this year after I planted the seed outside in Fall 2009----but they are less than six inches high so I either mixed my labels or they are minor crosses. These early species are more difficult to pollinate and raise than the later dips--I don't know how those early hybridizers did it----------------Weedy (old photo-middendorf cross?)

• gdjcb
    10 years ago

Avedon, That is as good as my best bloom from my blackeyed stella last year. Nothing yet here for me, enjoy your blooms and please continue to share the great pictures.
    Gale

• avedon_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We escaped with no frost, but it was close, 35 degrees. I have found scapes on Moon Over Monterey (3), another scape on Malaysian Marketplace for a total of seven right now, quite a few on Siloam Double Classic and some on the Jack Carpenter seedlings. Nate, love that pic of M. Marketplace, and WeedySeedy, what a pretty and cheerful color on your daylilies. Hope everybody will soon see scapes coming on, know it is a longer wait the further north you are. I just hope that we are finally done with those cold temps. Avedon

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

I like Black eyed Stella as she is always an early one here.

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Great to see everyone is starting to see blooms or scapes. Can't wait to start seeing everyone's photos.
    Linda