Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

While Waiting for Daylilies

organic_kitten
10 years ago

I am still enjoying my "cottage garden"

Roses, and foxglove and iris and lilies...

{{gwi:672959}}

and daylilies, and clematis and pansies around the edges with lavender and million bells. Not all blooming or even showing in this one either:

But you have to enjoy whatever you have blooming...and the roses have really been wafting a lovely fragrance.

Speaking of iris, here is Rainbow High:

And Kitty Kay:

And that 's too many photos again. sorry.

kay.

Comments (19)

• mrtoad
    10 years ago

beautiful

• shive
    10 years ago

You have so much wonderful color in your garden! The roses and irises are just magical. Right now all I have are the end of the azaleas, old fashioned bleeding hearts, and this Yaquina Blue iris.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Rodney!

Debra, my rose garden is still pretty young. One section has made the three year mark, and the other is just halfway in it's second year, so they should improve. I add this and that to it regularly (iris, lilies, daylilies, lavender, million bells...you name it. But it is fun, and it does have blooms while I wait for the daylilies. Hopefully, not much longer since I have so many with bloom scapes. We'll see.

Your Yaquina Blue iris is smashing! What a beauty! I only grew bleeding hearts once. It was not long lived for me. I probably killed it.

kay

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

wow, them roses are gorgeous KAY.love them.Everything else is very pretty, too, you have a wonderful selection of blooming plantsI have a couple foxgloves now, too,I thought Celeste's was so pretty, that when I seen some at the little feed store nursery,I got one to see if it will do ok, here,and it did, so just got a nother one a few days ago.Your photos are so pretty.

jean

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Kay, your rose garden has come a really long way in a short time. Those roses look really great! Pretty iris too.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jean, I love the foxgloves. I have half a dozen new one that I've planted, but they will bloom next year, not this year. I have a couple that have bloomed for the last three years, and some that I planted in the roses each of the last two years. I have some new ones, Pam's Choice, to plant this year still. I love the things.

Rita, you know when I planted them, since you enabled me, and I am pleased with them. I bought William Shakespear 2000 from Chamblee's in fall of 2011 and it is growing so fast! I lopped a couple feet off each end and it just replaces it. A wonderful rose here. And I do love the roses.

kay

• User
    10 years ago

Beautiful garden! Never too many photos!
    Ann

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

KAY, Do you have the rose EVELYN?its a peachy color and smells so good.Its a gorgeous rose.,also MAGGIE, I think its a china rose.I forget so I might be wrong on it.MAGIE is a beautiful red.your roses are so pretty.

jean

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Thank you for posting those gorgeous pictures! I love the roses, I gave up growing roses because either wicked willie got them or they never bounced back after the winters, so I really enjoy looking at everyone elses. Foxglove is one of my favorites. The first ones died out so I've got more seeded. Rainbow High is so a beautiful iris. Is it a tall bearded? Marg

• Nancy
    10 years ago

What wonderful roses! And what a wonderful color on Rainbow High, I love the brilliance of it, like jewels. My foxgloves aren't blooming yet. I only will have 2 plants this year, last year I had 1 & it looked so lonely :) Just wait til next year. I transplanted a bunch of seedlings & they are all doing well. Still a bunch that need to be transplanted or dug out, I may try another spot for those. I should have several big clumps next year & can't wait.

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Never to many photos just keep them coming. I love your roses if only the few I have looked as good.

Linda

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jean, I have Maggie, but don't have Evelyn. My new ones are Chaucer, Ferndale's Red China, Mutabalis and Grandmother's Hat. I also have an own-root Wild blue Yonder and an extra Don Juan climber since I bought a replacement for the vole ravaged one, and was able to save the original.

Marg, what or who is wicked willie? I dearly love foxgloves too. Rainbow High is a tall bearded. Mid America Gadens has it.

Thanks you Nancy. Always a silver lining, and the cool spring hs been really good for the roses. I've been on a fairly consistent routine maintenance for them too, which helps. Rainbow High looks just like the photo...as if it has been photo-shopped in the garden. And as I said above, I love foxgloves. Hope to have them in every slightly shady place.

Thank you linda. Like I said, the cool, wet, spring hs done wonders for them.
    kay

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Sorry Kay. Wee Wicked Willie is one of the rogue rabbits we have an abundance of around here. Thankfully they haven't tried my daylilies yet! Thanks for the info about Rainbow High. Marg

• celeste/NH
    10 years ago

Gorgeous photos and I hope you know that there are NEVER too many! Please keep sharing. My roses, foxgloves and iris are of course way behind yours so I enjoy looking at yours til then. I had some losses this winter so I won't have as many roses as usual. Those iris are wonderful. Iris are one of my newer addictions so I'm still collecting them and your pictures, along with Debra's stunning clump, are very tempting to see.

Celeste

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

oh gee, Kay, you have your FOXGLOVES in a little shade.I didn't know they need shade, well, should have know that, but mine(2 plants) are in the bright hot sun.As I said before I have no shade here during daylight hours, except my front yard gets shade after the sun starts going down.I have a little shade under a magnolia tree That I just hate.but can not dig in that area, the ground is like cement and millions of roots.Only way I can have anything there is in pots.I have 3 hydrange's and 4 Hosta's in pots there.and Have to spray them every month or sooner to try and keep the deer from eating them up.Seems Hosta's and Roses are their favorite foods.

jean

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jean, rose and foxgloves go together nicely. If you have a big rose, plant them there...or set them there.
    kay

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

don't have no huge roses no more,lost my big ones, and I have got tired fighting deer, too, but when you have a hig gorgeous rose that you love, and it just suddenly dies for no reason, then when you can dig it up, it has no roots on it,its disgusting.Makes you want to give up on roses.

jean

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nope drive the voles out, then grow the roses. Castor Oil is a wonder in the garden Gets rid of those stinking little root eating, plant killing voles.
    kay

• darobi2459
    10 years ago

Still no DL's for me, but got some other goodies :)

Some columbine

Clematis

Plain Jane Iris lol

Lilac about to bloom in mostly shade in front of my daughters play house.