Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Spraying Spikes for Thrips

organic_kitten
10 years ago

I sprayed all the daylilies with bloom spikes today. I think there were maybe 10 of them. May is a better month than June for blooms season to start. I actually put a bit of iron on several of them that look a bit puny...and a bit like they need the iron, we will see. the Epson salts improved most but not all of them. It's always something, isn't it?

Fernstone had a much prettier bloom today, but still not perfect: As you can see , very light rain sprinkles were around today.

Hope your season is or will be off to a great start.

kay

Comments (8)

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

Beautiful bloom kay, what are you spraying the daylilies with?It was cloudy and misty here all day again, too..I have found I think 6 daylilies with bloomspikes and buds., Crazy weather, its suppose to be in the 30's again tomorrow night.The last I heard was 36. hope it gets nbo lower.

jean

• shive
    10 years ago

Fern has improved a bunch! That's just a beauty of a red!

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jean, I am an idiot. I meant to say May was a better month than APRIL for the blooms to start. Duh! We aren't supposed to get quite that low, 40s is what they are predicting. Maybe it's our last cool/cold spell. I'm using an organic spray for the thrips. i don't want to kill the good guys.

Sounds like you are off to a good start with bloom spikes. Mine are the usual earlies...Patricia Snider memorial, Bill Watson, Colorado Moonfire, Black Fathom Depth... and so forth. OOPs jsut realized I didn't spray Sink Into Your Eyes. I'll do that tomorrow.

kay

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Fernstone is gorgeous - gotta get it. You should see how bad mine look -- and we have another cold front. Our temperatures are dropping fast - supposed to be 44 Saturday morning. The daylilies are very slow to open, and so many are either very small or mottled. We've sprayed several times for thrips so I don't think it's that. What did you use for iron?

Nancy

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

I knew what you meant Kay,and I don't think you no idiot:)The daughter picked up a little spray bottle of Ortho rose and flower spray a couple days ago for me. wont do but maybe a couple dozen plants.I think its a organic spray.. don't know if its going to work very good yet.I used some thing similar last year that worked pretty good,and I only sprayed the scapes and buds.

jean

• gardenofeden777
    10 years ago

Very pretty Kay.

For my roses I bought a product called Ortho Rose & Flower Insect Control Plus Miracle Gro that's for fertilizing & insect control. It is granules in like a shake & feed container. I have a rose bush under a street light and the june bugs infest the soil there and I guess chew the roots. That really works to keep the rose healthy. I noticed on the container it also says for thrips, lacewings, mealybugs, soft scale & aphids. It has to be reapplied every 2 months but is super easy to use. Takes hardly any time at all. Anyway I put it all over the daylilies too. I've never seen a thrip yet but figure I'll do a preventative in hopes I never do.

Have a wonderful weekend Kay!!!

Rena' :-)

• timberohio
    10 years ago

That is a beautiful red. Is it sunfast? Hard to find a good red that doesn't melt in the sun. Glad you mentioned spraying for trhip. I had a few plants last year that did horrible because of thrip. Need to get my Neems oil ready for my roses so I'll be sure to spray scapes If it ever warms up enough for me to get scapes. LOL

Oh and for anyone who uses Neems oil. Please Please Please be sure to only use it very early morning before the bees come out or late at night after they go to bed. We need to keep all the honey bees we can.

Andrea

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Looks good. I haven't sprayed for thrips yet. I usually don't think about it until I see those bloom scapes.