Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trouble with certain invasive plants

Posted by readdream 5a (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 14 at 17:11

Does anyone have problems with violets and wild onion [onion grass] trying to take over? No matter what I do there are always tons of both in my daylilies.
There are others [bermuda grass and dandilions, plus some misc. weeds] that I can keep mostly out. Last fall I took out a whole section of daylilies and sprayed and killed everything [it didn't kill any wild onion], mulched well with pine needles and they are back, as bad as ever.

Brad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trouble with certain invasive plants

I haven't had any issues with wild onions, but the violets are everywhere. The only way I've been able to get rid of them is to dig up the entire plant, corms and all. If I get all of the corms they don't come back.

Chris

o

I'm having the same problems along with nut grass. I think it came in with some mulch. It's in an area where I haven't had any before. At least it's easy to pull out.

Rosy

o

For wild onion you have to dig the entire plant out with the little bulb on the end otherwise they just come back again. I find it easier to pull them and get the entire plant w/bulb out when the ground is very soft after it rains. They are fairly far down in the soil. It is a never ending chore.

Julia

o

It sure is a never ending job which takes more time than we have! Thanks for responding.

o

I have both violets and green onions. I probably pulled up thousands of onions in March and April. The best way I found was to take a long, serrated, kitchen knife, after a rain, and go down by the side of onion and cut around it, get a good hold on it and pull straight up. Those violets can take over also. You have to get all that root or they will come back. I have another weed that is flat and has about five healthy large leaves. I put a lot of Preen down after I get the beds clean of weeds. I use a lot of mini pine bark also. Good luck. Sarah

o

Not only wild onion and the infernal wild violets, but Texas Evening Primrose. Never ending job.

kay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here