Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sungold Candy Daylily-damaged scapes

Posted by carolinaflowerlover 7b (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 12 at 17:25

I got a pot ( 2.5 quarts, I think) of Sungold Candy Dayliles today for $1.00. It is in great shape. I set it on my porch with intentions of planting it tomorrow, as it is outgrowing the pot. I just came to find that it had fallen off the stoop. :( Three out of four scapes are bent/cracked about 2/3 or 3/4 across the width of the scape. However, they can stand upright, if secured. I wrapped gauze around them and a stake, each. There are still buds in them. Do you think there is hope for those scapes, or should I cut the scapes off? How long will it take to grow new ones? I didn't think to get pics....I was in too big of a hurry, wanting to secure them before they cracked the rest of he way through. Obviously, I put the pot inside a larger one and on the ground. Poor things. :(:(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sungold Candy Daylily-damaged scapes

I don't think I've seen Sungold Candy before, had to look it up. It is very pretty, & certainly a bargain! If the scapes were just bent, they should bloom. If they are actually cracked, they might go ahead & bloom if they aren't too long from opening. I'm no expert on this, but if it were me, I would keep them on, & if it looked like the buds are shriveling, cut them off immediately. Right now I have a daylily that the scape twisted around so much it snapped. I think that condition has a name, but I can't think what it is. I didn't know what to do, so I left it. The buds have continued to grow & look like they should bloom soon. Maybe the blooms will look bad, but I'll learn something from the experience.
Maybe someone else will have better advice for you. As far as rebloom, so hard to say. Some rebloom while they still have a scape, some wait a couple of weeks or more, while others may not rebloom at all. They can behave differently year to year too.

o

Thanks! Bent is probably a better word than cracked. They do bend over and show some stress areas around it, but they don't actually separate completely from the scape, I don't think. I really should have taken pics. lol I do love it! I am hoping to find more somewhere else.

o

I've brought some in the house that were near blooming and just put them in a vase. They bloomed fine. If they look like they are starting to wilt, you might try that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here