Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

This is my new Gardenbed

newyorkrita
14 years ago

I was working on a new gardenbed section in front of the rockwall off by my pond.

I Just put annuals in as thats about all I could manage to get done for this year.

Theres Impatients, Cosmos and Marigolds in front plus I plant to put the tropical milkweeds I ordered in the back empty last row.

{{gwi:682337}}

closeup

From The Sideyard.

from the pondside

Excuse charcoal pavers. I still have to finish ends and do some more in that general section. I used the pavers as edging and I like the way it blended in with the rockwall.

{{gwi:682328}}

Comments (22)

• lovelyiris
    14 years ago

The bed is beautiful Newyorkrita, why didn't you put some of your daylilies in it too?

I love all the different stones and so forth.
    Happy Gardening,
    Marian

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That bed wasn't even started until just afew stragger daylilies showed up this spring. In otherwords, daylilies all planted before bed got done.

I did start to lay down the area awhile back but could not figgure out were to put the edge. I had it narrower and diidn't like it. Plus I had bricks and they clashed awefully with the rocks. Eventually I got those charcoal pavers at Home Depot and when I started laying them in a straight line right behind that tree, I knew that was going to work.

I had planned to put in a longer narrow bed in front of that potted tree about ten feet long by 2-3 feet who knows. I was going to make that colorful annuals but that idea was fine in my mind early spring but never even got thinking about starting due to having too much to do this spring. So therfore I changed my plans and planted those annuals I had thought to have in the narrow non existant bed into this bed. At least this one exists in the real world while the other is still an idea in my head.

• katlynn719
    14 years ago

Rita, I love the gray pavers around your new bed - looks great with the rocks around your pond. What is the pink and white bush blooming in the background?
    Kathy

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Its a Weigelia that is more than 60 years old. Those blooms open pink and as they age they turn white.

{{gwi:622918}}

Another picture of the Weigelia.

• katlynn719
    14 years ago

Rita, What a great pic of your Weigelia - thanks! Just did a quick search and it said that it prefers full sun. But yours looks like it is in partial shade - is it? What do you think...would it do well on the north side of a fence under pine trees?
    Kathy

• jean_ar
    14 years ago

oh WoW,Rita.I love this new gardenbed, too.You are fabuleous at making pretty flower beds.I love the charcoal pavers.it really looks great witth your other stone works and pond. Kathy, asked the same question I was going to ask, too about what is the flowering bush.I didn't think a Weigelia ever grows that big.Its beautiful.

Jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It probably would grow much bigger even but each year after it finishes blooming I cut it back to about 5 feet tall.

I don't think they would do well under pine trees although the north side of a fence sounds fine. It does have some shade from other shrubs and there is a very tall, taller than my two story house, limbed up Blue Spuce tree over the pond.

• Nancy Barginear
    14 years ago

I want you to move here and be my next-door neighbor. You could tell me what to plant where, and how to do it all. All I know how to do is stick a plant in the ground and water it occasionally!

Nancy

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Its funny but none of my neightbors garden. I wish they did so we could all talk gardening but its not gonna happen :-((

• tarheelbelle
    14 years ago

You are doing a wonderful job in your garden. It looks great! The weigelia is really pretty. I didn't realize they would grow that large.
    Michelle

• tweetypye
    14 years ago

Love your weigelia Rita, I have one just like it that I've had for years. Mine is in full sun and I do have to prune the dead wood out each year, but I don't have to prune it to keep it managable. It only gets about 6 or 7 ft high here. I've tried growing one of those newer cv's with the burgandy foliage and red flowers but haven't had any luck with it. Do you others or only the one in the photo?
    Jan

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is the only one. I am sure I will not be getting any others. Its funny it was here when I was a kid and I never liked it. But now it reminds me of my childhood spent growing up in this house and gardening with dad. My dad was a wonderful gardener. Mom liked to garden too but mom was a terrible gardener.

• jan53_2008
    14 years ago

Great job and pictures, Rita! I have a weigelia also, but like Jan's, mine is not more than about 6 foot tall. I didn't know it was possible for them to get that tall, but it surely is pretty and looks nice where it is at. The charcoal pavers are a hit, for sure! I think yours is the first bed I have ever seen anywhere that used them. They certainly blend in well with your stone. I always enjoy looking at your new and revised creations.....gives me lots of new ideas, although my gardening spots are very different than yours, there is always something to learn and incorporate into my future plans. I don't have much grass left to make new beds in the front, and up to now have left the back yard to mostly the "dog" domain so I am not worried about or fighting them about getting into my gardens. That might have to start changing, or else I am going to have to give up some or a lot of my older daylilies for room for newer ones I might want. Some of them I could get rid of no problem.....then some of them I absolutely would not be without! Great job, and keep the pics coming!! Thanks for sharing your gardening journey with us! Jan G.

• organic_kitten
    14 years ago

Rita,
    I like your new bed. Annuals add color, and you always need some of that. It is really nice!
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I added a hanging basket and the cosmos are blooming.

{{gwi:682365}}

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

So green!
    I like the dark pavers- they blend well with the rock.

• missylin
    14 years ago

You do the most wonderful landscaping New York Rita. I really like the dark pavers, too. I am going to enlarge the bed in my front yard, and was thinking of doing so with rock. But the dark pavers might be a good idea. It might look like rock from far away. I think you might be the one who had a side bed with a water feature. Was it you? I'd like another picture as I'm thinking about doing one in a part of my bed where it would look perfect.
    Lin

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

I love Cosmos, they always seem to look good head to toe & love the foliage.

What type of tree do you have growing in the pot?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have been posting these pictures and have been amazed that no one commented on the fact that I have a potted tree sunk into the ground.

Its an Illinois Everbearing Mulberry. It grows really BIG if put in the ground and I did not want it big. But the roots grew thru the hole in the pot, it tipped over and I cut the roots. Then I could not get the pot to stand upright any longer. So I sunk it inground.

Last year after I cut the roots all the leaves dropped so I prunned it way back. Thought it would be dead this spring but appareantly it's tough because it leafed out and is fruiting.

• missylin
    14 years ago

Rita, what kind of rocks are you using?

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

I don't know what that technique is called. I'm guessing in tbe lines of Espal-sai! Get it, get it, LOL! It looks cool & it is bearing fruit, it's right up my alley!

I'm lucky enough to have a Mulberry right across the street from me. The mailman even grabs a handful everyday while they are ripe.

• Nancy Barginear
    14 years ago

Beautiful,Rita, like everything you do in your garden. Now, when you run out of every inch of space, please come down here to my place and share your landscaping ideas/methods with me!

Nancy