Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Best Marker for Daylily Labels

What is the best marker for daylily labels? Mine fades easily - I just tried a spray on polyurethene but it smeared the ink. Am sure I will have to order - would like one that would be permanent and not fade too badly. Thanks!
Judith

Comments (24)

• dementieva
    10 years ago

I use a label maker at work, and it doesn't fade.

I don't know how good Sharpies are for long-term sunfastness, but I can confirm that blue is better than black, and both are better than red.

Nate

• darobi2459
    10 years ago

I read pencil is the best, I also read someone that will label it on top and below the mulch just in case.

• houstmag
    10 years ago

I usually mark on both sides of a label just in case one side fades. I have had good results using a Uni Paint Oil Base Paint Marker that I get on the Lily Auction. Sharpie also makes a paint marker that I've picked up at Michaels. Living in FL with the hot sun a paint marker is the best for marking.
    Linda

• Nancy
    10 years ago

I usually use a labelmaker now but I've used the permanent Sharpies & the paint pens. Both work well, but you have to make sure the sharpies are the permanent markers. Paint pens are better (black in those though, not blue, at least for me), but the best, cheapest I think are grease pencils.

• ilovemyroses
    10 years ago

I found some great aluminum markers at Antique Rose Emporium (ARE.com) that are easily indented with a ball point pen. I tie them onto a U shaped wire I cut from clothing hangers (about six inches tall) and stick into the ground next to the daylily. I also, on a side note, mark perrenials that I just want to remember where they are planted as opposed to what they are, with chopsticks given with our chinese food orders!! They are longer than most markers, and better looking than plastic knifes.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I read that clear fingernail polish painted over the name helps - I am trying that. Has anyone ever tried this?

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

I started using a black paint pen I bought at wal mart last spring and so far the markers thst I have done with them are not faded, at least not yet, after being in 100 plus last spring.

jean

• TNY78
    10 years ago

I'm a little late posting to this, but I use a Brother P-Touch label maker and its wonderful! I have some that are a number of years old and they look as good as new. I just buy the aluminum plant makers and stick the labels on them. Make sure to get the laminated label tape. You can get the label maker for about $50 and replacement tape for about $12

Tammy

• FarawayFarmer
    10 years ago

There's a thread on the daylily forum over at All things Plants that discusses various markers.

http://allthingsplants.com/thread/view/8155/Labels-Markers-maps-How-do-you-ID/

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

I used the label maker my first year, and found some fades very badly the first year, then some of them been out for 3 years and not faded at all.then I used sharpies to mark them and they faded bad the first year,and now I have a few daylilies that I have no idea yet who they are.now I have used the black paint to write names on the markers, that I buy at wal mart,and they don't seem to fade, but I do push them in the ground with the names facing the daylily and not the sun.Would like to be able to buy the aluminum markers for my plants, but, cant afford them, but these walmart larger size works good as long as you don't accidently step on them and break them off at ground level, like I done a couple of them.
    oh, and I have used plastic venetian blinds cut into about 8 inch long to write the name on them, That works pretty good, too,as if you accidently step on them, they just bend over without breaking.

jean

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

If I'm going to pay good money for the daylily, I pay good money for an engraved label. No worries about fading. this is most of the label on Red Eyed Fantasy showing. (I try to avoid the labels in pics, but don't always take time when I am shooting a lot of photos.)

And I totally agree with Faraway Farmer; always make a chart. You never know when kids or a prankster will decide to "rearrange" your labels.

kay

• mizellie
    10 years ago

Judith, Wal Mart sells a paint Pen in the craft dept. The black, fine point works well for me. At least a couple of years. Also office supply ordered me some markers that the cleaners uses to mark clothing that's washed. it lasts well too! Ellie

• judyannz7
    10 years ago

My garden markers are getting old. I've reused them numerous times. As they had started looking tacky, I spray painted them with a dark neutral gray.

I purchased a package of Avery Lazer Labels that fit the face of the markers. Using the matching Avery template, I created the documents with the information I wanted on the labels, 30 per sheet. Printed on plain paper I showed it to the tech at Office Depot printing department and asked if they would print the document on my lazer labels with their lazer printer. They agreed, and so I sent them by email my saved label documents as an attachment to an email with instructions per our conversation in the store.

The labels turned out great, and I have used the markers for years without much fading.

For seedlings I prefer the paint pen from the craft department of Wal-Mart on cut mini blinds. I'll use a different color blind to write notes in pencil, with wax marker or a very fine point paint pen from Michaels. I've used all three.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Not the best but the cheapest - plain pencil on cut plastic blinds is still legible after 2-3 years. I also write on both sides, but either squirrels or birds can easily move them. Mainly I use those metal markers with the special black pencil that came with them (it's very soft) but it fades in a year, have to write again.
    And then I also make 'maps' of my beds, just on paper. Only for DLs. Other plants lost their blinds markers and now I don't know who is who in say astilbes and lilies, but I only have a few of each.
    Haven't tried a nail polish.

• judyannz7
    10 years ago

Oh yes! Here's a great little mini-blind snatcher!

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Oh, what a cutie!

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I'm sure with that innocent face, he or she is just trying to help:)

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

What a cutie the little doggy is.I map of my garden and placement of the daylilies wouldn't do me a lot of good, as I have a bunch of mine in pots and I am always moving them around.I have lost a few dormants so I am going to dig up the others I have that's dormant, and pot them, too.Dont seem to lose any in pots and they do much better.

jjean

• User
    10 years ago

The little dog is adorable!

I have tried a lot of labels and labeling materials over the years and now prefer the Stainless Steel plant markers by Wren. I like to purchase these markers in lots of 50 online through a company called Bosmere for the best price. I used to mark the plant name with special pens for this purpose and the ink only lasted about 3 to 5 years. So about 8 years ago I converted to the Brother p-touch TZe label tape to identify all my plants. This tape is laminated for outdoor use and to prevent fading from UV rays. It is also water resistant. The labels still look as good as the day I put them on. The stainless steel markers are great because they can be cleaned and relabeled if a plant leaves the garden.

• lola939
    10 years ago

I use metal markers purchased from ebay they are 11.5 in tall. I use Avery Clear Mailing Labels and print the names on a laser printer. Just peel them off and stick them on the metal. They last for years. Make sure you buy Laser labels and use a laser printer.

• Tn_Tree_Man
    10 years ago

I have also been using the Brother p-touch TZe printer. I print the label and adhere it to aluminum strips that I cut from aluminum soda pop cans. The aluminum can is easy to cut with scissors to the size that I want. I then punch a hole in the end of the strip with a paper hole punch for mounting. The label has stuck to the aluminum strip very well and has endured a lot of weather without fail. This is cheap except for the purchase of the label maker (about 30 bucks), effecient and lasting.

• HU-256511714
    3 years ago

Which model Brother label maker do any of you use?

• signet_gw(6b)
    3 years ago

I have had this label maker for years . It is a Brother P-touch PT1280 . Probably looking at replacing this soon but I have labels out there from this machine that were made 8or9 years ago with no fading whatsoever. I do have dogs however so sometimes they think it is great fun to run off with the marker with the label on it . So to ensure I never lose track of what plant I have planted I use vinyl blind tags with the name written on the tag in HB Pencil . I roll it up and place under the plant when I plant and then another at 3 o'clock if you are looking at the plant face on . again it is a vinyl tag written in pencil .

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!