Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
waitforspring2

I fell off the wagon!

Waitforspring
11 years ago

I'd been so good about not buying any daylilies this year because I have no space and am getting some landscaping done, but I went to our club sale on Sunday and seven daylilies followed me home! I went to donate daylilies and help with the sale and didn't intend to buy, but what can I say, I'm addicted.

Val

Comments (20)

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Hey, no big surprise. One just can't NOT get new daylilies. It just can't be helped. What new ones did you get?

• Nancy
    11 years ago

If there are any lost or stray daylilies around, they seem to follow me home too :) Haven't come across any yet, but I'm sure there will be one or two before the summer is over.

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Meant to ask what daylilies found a home with you?

• mizellie
    11 years ago

POORVAL. THERE'S ALWAYS ROOM FOR ONE MORE.. ELLIE

• Waitforspring
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Knew everyone here would understand. I got
    ALEXIS SUNNY PANTS
    EMINENT DOMAIN
    YORKTOWN BEACH
    BLAST FROM THE PAST
    NIGHT TRAIN TO MEMPHIS
    SUPERCHIEF
    LEGEND OF ZORRO

Val

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

Is there a twelve step program for this illness??

• roxanna
    11 years ago

12-step program? heavens, no. it's a 77-step program, which is why so many of us never complete it.... =)

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

It goes with the territory. We are all addicts.
    kay

• shive
    11 years ago

Well, who resist those, Val? I bought several new ones this spring. I didn't keep count and have forgotten several of my auction wins. But since it's 2012, and this could be the END according to the Mayan calendar, I HAD to have them. How's that for an excuse? LOL

Debra

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Not only did I fall off the wagon it ran over me I can't post the list because it is way to long. I'm like all of you can't seem to resist what with The Lily Auction, club auctions and sales and Southern Mecca is coming up in two weeks I'm doomed.
    Linda

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

I hear ya! I ordered 15 new ones for this spring. I swore I wouldn't get any more and then the nursery had a huge sale on heucheras. I wanted some for my hosta bed so we went in to get some. They also had daylilies on sale for $5 a pot. Who can pass that up? I decided I wouldn't go overboard and only picked out 4. Next thing I know DH is loading ones he wants into the cart! I ended up going home with 8 new ones. Marg

• Edward_Kimball
    11 years ago

I can't wait for pictures of Alexis Sunny Pants. I have lusted after that one since seeing Paul's catalog. I added one to my list yesterday: Green Arrow (Gossard)

Edward

• Waitforspring
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just the fact that we are on this forum means we have no chance of breaking this addiction. Everyone here is an enabler! Almost every day I see an other one I NEED!
    Val

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

The only way to stop is too be totally out of room and even THAT doesn't always work. I mean there is always tossing something out in favor of getting something new.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Out of room just means you go to "pot". That's what I've done over the past few years. Started using containers. BUT I swear, NO more daylilies this SPRING (our daylily show is in June and that's summer)....I empathize with you...Maryl

• phaltyme21
    11 years ago

Rita has a good suggestion BUT, I tried it a couple of times and I managed to find a bit of space. My daughter
    frequently gives me divisions of hers and my DH can't
    gripe about the price.

I've got a couple of pictures I'm watching so maybe I can
    get them.

Kay/phal

• Waitforspring
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You'd think that being out of space would work, but not for me. Like Maryl says there are always pots and like Rita I look to see what else can go to make room for the new ones.
    Edward, I'll be sure to post a picture of Alexis Sunny Pants when it blooms.
    Val

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

Good luck with that Maryl. I went to a plant swap-Dad wanted some daylilies I specifically wanted non daylilies-I got 2 non daylilies and 6 daylilies. Dad got 4 daylilies-we shared and swapped large ones. ***sigh*** Still need to find a few NON DAYLILIES for special holes I have left for them.

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

I was behaving really well when Rita posted about Earlybirds big sale collection, then posted about it again. The second time nosey had to look and bingo! Bass Gibson and Hyacinth Macaw were both on sale by Mark at Abundant...an excellent vendor. I had to at least post a bid, since none had been made, and Hyacinth Macaw was a steal at $35! Bless goodness, no one else bid on it...just three minutes before the end of the auction, I saw that no one had bid on Bass Gibson. and there were two of them offered with no bids. I had to bid on one of them. And there were no other bids on either one. So I am awaiting two new daylilies when I wasn't going to buy anymore. I've already blamed Rita, so I will just blame the addiction.
    kay

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

ha ha ha,We are all addicts,I guess.but, its a wonderful addiction,I thinkI have not been to a nursey in a long time, but, went with a daughter this afternoon, and she bought me some Lantana's that I plan to put them in spaces where I lost a rose bush.then I found a "Peace" rose bush I got to replace one that died

2 yrs ago.This one is going in a big pot,since I am unable to dig holes now.
    Just the little walking I done today,I am really paying for it tonight, with my body.almost impossible to move now.

Jean