Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missylin_gw

Betty Warren Woods question

missylin
11 years ago

My new lawn man's helper killed 2 of my Betty Warren Woods. :( This survivor's blossom looks a little pale to me. Is it just that my other yellow daylilies are a more vibrant color? If not, what should i do. This particular flower bed is near my ligustrum tree, but I don't think the daylily is shaded by the tree. ???

Comments (18)

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

I have had Betty Warren Woods for about 8 years now. It has always stayed a true yellow and never faded. Marg

{{gwi:734474}}

• missylin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Does the flower look like BWW, Marg? I had three several plants there. I'm pretty sure this one is Betty Warren Woods, but not positive. Yours looks a little different. This is my first or second flower of the season.

• shive
    11 years ago

My Betty Warren Woods is a cream yellow (meaning light yellow). Yours looks a bit pale, but not by much. It does look like my Betty Warren Woods. But I'm suprised you don't have more of an edge with being in Zone 9.

Debra

• missylin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Debra, do you mean by "more of an edge" more of an edge on the flower or more color being in zone 9? Do you think I should do something? It might be getting a bit more shade than it should by my ligustrum tree. I had the tree trimmed quite a bit, but hate to have it trimmed more. I originally had the whole circumference of the bed with daylilies but as the tree got larger, I found it was too much shade for the daylilies. I could move the remaining daylilies there, but they do look pretty around the tree.

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

I think BWW does not do well in shady areas. Mine has always been puny. I need to move it.

Nancy

• missylin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I guess I should move mine, Nancy. But this would not be a good time, would it. It is blooming. It's not really shady there, but gets more shade than many areas. The ones in the shadier area of that bed died. And the lawn guy's helper killed some smaller ones with the weed wacker that were in the sunniest part of the bed, but he thought looked like grass. Should I wait til cooler weather (late October on) to move it? The particular bed where i have it was the bed I originally wanted as my daylily bed. As the ligustrum has gotten bigger, I've had to move daylilies, even though I have the tree cut back a bit each year.

• shive
    11 years ago

What I meant about the edge is that usually in warm temps it is very ruffled and the gold on the outer edge is thicker. If I were you, I would move it as soon as temperatures cool down a bit. Keep some soil with the rootball and it will experience less transplant shock.

Debra

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. The soil conditions may have something to do with the color. I have heavy clay. My BWW has been the same color every year. Marg

• missylin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dear Marg, We don't have clay here, it's planted in a native soil (sandy soil) mixed with more than 2/3 soil that is pine bark and other things that i purchased at a local nursery. This particular bed is about a 2/3 mixture. The ones i have today are a a bit deeper in color.
    Lin

• missylin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Debra,
    Gee, I don't know what happened there that the same message printed so many times. ?? It doesn't get cooler here til sometime mid October. I guess I'll have to wait til then to move it. Do you think it's maybe not BWW? I'm always afraid to split up my daylilies and/or move them. When the time comes I'll have to ask y'all for help. I have read it's not good to be moving them or planting them when it's in the 90s all the time.

• shive
    11 years ago

I DO think what you have is Betty Warren Woods. Just Google it for photos. You'll see several that look just like yours. In my opinion, your plant is not getting enough sun or water, or both.

Debra

• missylin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Debra. I will have to check and see exactly how many hours of sun it gets. I think it gets enough water, but now our rainy season has started it should be getting much more. I wonder if there are any tiny roots from the tree that are encroaching the daylily. I feel like I'm not being a good daylily mom. Any suggestions for what I can do until I can move it, or to help so I don't have to move it, if it is getting enough sun? How many hours does BWW need?

• shive
    11 years ago

BWW really needs 6 hours or more of sun a day to thrive. With 4.5 or less, it won't multiply. Mine is now getting only 4 hours of sun a day and it's losing fans.

Debra

• missylin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Debra. I will see how much it gets. I was thinking it got about 6 but I'm not sure. If they don't multiply, they are not considered to be thriving then. Are there certain types of daylilies that need less sun? I've had to chance my daylily bed plans over time due to trees growing. If I have to move BWW I'm wondering if there are other daylilies i could put there, and how i would know. Thanks so much for your help.

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

I would not move it now. It is too hot here to move them, unless you move it to a pot and can keep a close eye on it.

We did have trees cut down or trimmed and the board fence taken down. It was replaced with a wrought iron fence to increase sunlight. Those nearest the fence that did not get early morning sunlight were struggling to survive.

My BWW hasn't multiplied either. Not enough sun, I think.

Nancy

• shive
    11 years ago

What kind of trees do you have? In general daylilies don't do well planted within a few feet of large trees. The tree roots compete for water and nutrients.

Debra

• missylin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

BWW is in a bed that has a ligustrum tree. It's not a very large tree. Many people grow them as bushes or hedges even. The tree is not close to BWW. I'd have to measure how far away it is from the ligustrum tree.. it's definitely not under the tree, but there is probably a part of the day that the tree casts a shadow on the BWW. There are many places in the bed I can't plant anything due to the tree's roots, let alone shade. I will measure how far BWW it is from the tree. There is probably a time of day when the tree might cast a shadow on the daylilies in that bed. I have to check that. I have had to move daylilies as the tree has gotten larger, and have lost some before I realized that.

• missylin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nancy, I'd be afraid to move daylilies til sometime in October. We still are in the low 90s in September. October is when it starts getting a little cooler. Summer starts sometime in may til sometime in October. I will have to see how many hours of sun it gets. Maybe give it extra water and fertilizer for now? I was going to move it a little farther from the tree in April. But there is not much room farther from the tree in that bed. I just thought of something. My creeping juniper might have roots competing with BWW. The creeping juniper makes a circle in the middle of the flower bed. I'd like to get rid of it, but it would be a massive undertaking. there were 6 go them and they are over 20 years old. to get rid of all the roots etc would cost a fortune.