Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daylily Newbie

Posted by fleegle96 MA (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 19:28

Hi there - I'd like to start out by saying I am probably going to botch some terminology but I am hoping someone will see a picture of what is going on in my yard and *poof* - here's the solution:

And maybe I don't really have a problem other than I have a lot, lot, LOT of Daylilies growing in the front of my home. They were planted in the mid 70's by my mom, and then never separated by my dad who lived here up until he passed away last year. I am now trying to make sense of things within this house, and now that it's spring I'm tackling the outside.

Pulling up what I thought was *one* plant yielded a root system that looked like tubers, though I know they aren't. I am wondering how much, if any, of these bulbous thing-a-majigs could be cut back and still yield a flower?

I have also tried to pull out a large clump of many flowers, though all the bulb-like parts intertwine with one another and many broke off... How can I thin out these roots and yet still have SOME daylilies?

Thanks for any assistance you might be able to give to this new flower gal!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daylily Newbie

Just wanted to add a second photo of some of the plants I was able to divide... and hopefully they'll take!

o

It looks as though you're doing fine with dividing; just pry them apart with a trowel or knife or by hand. It doesn't hurt if some of the "bulbous" roots get injured a bit so long as the crown of the plant is not too damaged (and even then it will probably grow). Yes, your plants were much too thick. Perhaps when you see some bloom this summer, you can decide which ones you want to propagate and which you are not interested in.

o

I thought I'd update with a photo of my first blooms this season! My mom planted these in front of the house I now live in back in 1974... I sent some to her out in Washington State, though she hasn't had any blooms out there.

What's even funnier to me is that my mom didn't recognize them! "I thought they were just plain orange!"

Anyone have any idea on what species this might be and/or some helpful keywords to look it up on the big database? I can tell it's a double-lily (I think) and that's about as far as I get!

o

I know how exciting it is to see first blooms! My guess would be that this is Kwanso, but I think there is another similar looking one called Flore Pleno or something like that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here