Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

Around my garden - Upstate NY

Julia WV (6b)
10 years ago

Well it has been a crazy couple of months here but things are getting back to normal (or at least what we call normal).

I haven't got much to share but thought to post a few photos. Thanks to many of you who posted your bulb photos last year which motivated me to plant some last fall here. Daylilies are growing fast and I'm stlll not done cleaning the beds. I know it will be there tomorrow and the next day and the next....so not getting crazy about it. Dandelions have invaded and the ground is getting harder to weed so waiting for some rain to soften things up again. Suppose to have rain starting on Tuesday evening right through the weekend on and off. Temps will also drop back into the low 60's.
So here we go...
{{gwi:648591}}

{{gwi:648592}}

And lastly, my garden buddy Marmalade :-)

Julia

Comments (9)

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

wow!!Julia those Tulips are gorgeous.all of you are going to keep it up till I will be looking for tulips bulbs in the fall to plant, too.I use to grow tulips years ago, but had to dig them up after they bloomed and store them and replant in the fall again.it got to be too much trouble so I didn't dig them up one year and that was the end of the tulips, but they are soo pretty.love your flowering trees, too,and that white rose.so pretty.thanks for sharing your beauties.

Jean

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Beautiful pictures, Julia. Tulips are such a joy, and I love the way you integrated them into your garden. Nothing shouts "It's Spring" like the tulips unfurling their colorful petals. The tree's names? I think I know one and four, but, just tell. Marmalade looks very comfortable and happy with the weather and his/her station in life.

Good that you are having normal weather. We have been back in January temps, then back to normal, then January...It is supposed to be in the 70s tomorrow and until Monday when it is supposed to be back in the ice box. Weather! Bah! I'm ready to bar-b-cue the groundhog.

kay

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Now we are getting April rains here too. Your tulips all look so big; they must have had a good spring. I recognize Ollioules and Pink Impression in the first pic. Apeldorn Elite in pic 3?
    A very serene setting with the hazy landscape in background.

• timberohio
    10 years ago

What a beautiful yard. Love all the tulips in bloom and Marmalade looks very content. You have a wonderful view at your place. Is that a lake in the distance? Looks like a very serene place to sit and drink coffee in the mornings.

Andrea

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Julia your photos are beautiful what a gorgeous place you live in. I really like your tulips and of course Marmalade is the real star of the show.
    Linda

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I quit early today as I wanted to get all the lawn areas mowed short before the rains come.
    The shrub with the pinkish to white flowers is a viburnum. Behind that is a lilac that is just starting to open.

The flowering trees are weeping cherry which keeps getting closer to the ground each year. I may need to give it a trim this fall.

The other flower trees are Ornamental Cherry. Pink, darker red and a white
    {{gwi:648590}}

The tulips are Pink Impressions and they are huge blooms here. Wow, love the color on them. Yes, mantis, you got all of them spotted correctly. I also have Daydream and Golden Oxford in that bed. In the other pics are Red Impressions.
    One odd set of tulip bulbs I got was Apple Blossom. Odd because you don't know which bulbs are what color as they are a mixed so I just planted them. Some came out with white,light pinks as shown in the photo. I did other groupings of AB and some are all pinks to light pink.

The lake in the background of the one picture I posted before is actually about 2 miles from our place but we do get a nice view of it . I had the telephoto lens on when taking pics so it makes things appear closer than they actually are. Like in this pic, the neighbors barn looks very close but actually it is pretty far away.

Marmalade is our best bud. We find that she likes to nap in the daylilies, rolls around in the mulch and learned a lesson not to rub up against the rose bush with thorns. Still swats at the bees though.

Hope you enjoy the tour. I can't wait for Iris and daylily blooms and to put icing on the cake, INTELLIGENT DESIGN has a scape up but it is growing rather crooked. I guess it is a leftover from last season.

Julia

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

wow,and I thought that was a white rose bush.well,I been needing new glasses for the last 5 years and haven't been able to get them yet, forgot to comment on the cat.dont know how I could have forgot the cat as we use to have one exactly like it years ago. my DH had named it motor boat because it purred so loud, he said it sounded like a motor boat running.They are both gone to a better world I hope now.

jean

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Beautiful Kitty but the flowers are just marvelous. Those shrubs and small trees blooming are simply stunning! And I always love tulips. Glad you got motivated to plant them.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

yes, the flowewrs are just wonderful. Julia,I have came back to your post about 5 times already to look at the beautiful flowers and them gorgeous flowering trees. and I just love them tulips. will have to hint to my daughters in the fall for tulips bulbs to plant.maybe I can get them to get me a few,even is they ARE always fussing at me to stay out of the yard.The young daughter says its just no use to tell me to stay out of the yard,when I practically live outside,trying to plant some thing or pulling up weeds.She told my doctor Monday that I just wont stay out of the yard and shes afraid I might fall again.he just told me to be very careful in the yard.

jean

jean

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?