Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deluxemoonpie

Daylily parentage

deluxemoonpie
10 years ago

So, I've been looking up the parentage and making a genealogy chart as I read I ought to do with my daylilies for breeding purposes, but what do I do now. What good do these charts do me? I am not so sure I could ever look at a chart, see Licorice Candy's and Forestlake Ragamuffin's and then envision Bonibrae Sharky from that... so what am I missing? Any thoughts?

Comments (10)

• shive
    10 years ago

Some people say you should expect seedlings to look like one of the grandparents. I just cross hardy, well-performing plants I like. Sometimes you get what you expect, but most times you get something different. I don't grow a lot of seedlings, but I've gotten a good percentage of kids I like. I've registered one and am evaluating several for possible future introductions. My crosses are mostly based on impulse and intuition.

If you're going for toothy, the longer the pedigree with teeth is, the more likely you will get toothy seedlings because the toothy trait is recessive.

Debra

• dani_plus_2
    10 years ago

I gûess it depends on how deep you plan on breeding. I started out labeling e verything but the squirrels thought it too organized nd dug up the labels. Then there was the frost heave. Blah. I have names of all the seeds crosses I have, but no longer label them unless I have an $$$ cross! I only backyard hybridize. Doesn't mean that I'm not going to register and try to sell on LA- just means that I may not get the money I hope forsince I don't have the backgrounds.

If you look at the Heavenly Gardens website, you'll see immaculate geneology. The big guys think it's very important and if you plan on going big time , they may not buy from you if you don't know the detail.

It all depends on what level you are going to breed.

• deluxemoonpie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So... should I add the characteristics to the genealogy? or maybe just a picture. I've used my online genealogy site that I use for my family and just created a branch for my flowers as if they are part of the family.

• mizellie
    10 years ago

I'm with Debra on this one. Intuition is my motive. If it looks good to me, I slap a dab of pollen on it. I don't guess I need to tell you that I have a lot of dogs but then, I am not a big time hybridizer. I just do it for fun.

Debra, what is the name of the one you registered??

Ellie

• shive
    10 years ago

Ellie - My first registration is Midnight In Memphis (2012). I sent the photo to the registrar twice by email, but he never put it on the AHS database with the rest of the info. I guess I'll try mailing it to him on a disc. I went ahead and registered it last year because I was superstitious about starting my official hybridizing career in a year with 13 in it (lol). Because my plants took such a hit from last year's drought, I am lining it out now with plans to introduce it next spring, maybe with two others.

• deluxemoonpie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Debra THAT is a gorgeous color!! Looks like you started with a BANG! I really like the form as well, nice and round.

Matt

• shive
    10 years ago

Thanks Matt! This is out of my toothy breeding, Evening Enchantment X Gilded Knight. Instead of teeth, I got a very narrow gray purple edge with a few white baubles. The bloom looks very true purple in the shade, but in direct sun has red undertones. It's sunfast, rainfast, heat fast and a great garden plant.

Debra

• mizellie
    10 years ago

Oh Debra, I love it so when it gets a good start, let me know. How did Miss Liddy Kate do for you? I hope she gives you some teeth since her parents are both toothed! Ellie

• shive
    10 years ago

Ellie - Sweet Liddy Kate has not scaped yet. But so many of my daylilies are running later, there's still a chance, I check on her every day. I'd be happy to send you some of Midnight in Memphis since you sent me some of your beautiful first registration.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

That is a beauty Debra. Such an intense lovely color.
    kay

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!