Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

Spring Specimens

mantis__oh
11 years ago

While the dry spring does not bode well, some things have been better than in recent years.

Spirea Prunifolium is a quite reliable performer. From a friend's yard, as I would not use space for a shrub whose post-blooming structure is rather uninteresting. But if you have a lot of space.... (Pretty much finished now, as it began mid-April.)

Kwanzan cherry have been blooming for several weeks. Most dense bloom I have seen on this one ever; cooler spring temps have allowed flowering to linger.

A neighbor has this huge azalea in her backyard. Never does anything to it.

Lilacs are blooming profusely and appreciate spring temps cooler than those of last year.
My Sensation:

A few years ago I begged for a division from this neighbor's lilac. I think, but am not sure, that it is Charles X. Huge trusses:

First butterfly shot of the year. Maybe cooler (low 70s) temps make the butterflies less skittish. I actually nudged this one several times to get it to open its wings. I could easily have picked it up. Maybe too it was just stupefied.

Updates: Tulip Negrita is still blooming. This was from a few days ago.

For anyone thinking of getting the parrots mixture from Colorblends, here is a pic. They lasted a long time, but the mixture seems heavy on the orange side.

Comments (13)

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Those are beautiful pictures, Mantis. I so envy the beautiful lilacs. wish I could smell them. That cherry tree is magnificent! I noticed the cooler temps making things last longer, and the roses are especially loving it. The Dutch iris lasted much much longer than usual. Had a few betterflies, that's a lovely shot. also the Negrita tulips are very pretty. such a nice post, thanks for sharing.
    kay

• timberohio
    11 years ago

Beautiful Pictures. Love the swallowtail. Wish my lilac bush looked that nice. Hummingbird did give me a buzz yesterday to let me know it is time to put out the feeder. If I don't notice them. They come to my back door and hoover there till I notice them and bring out the feeder. But since I was outside he just decided to buzz me. LOL Smart little birds.

Andrea

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Mantis, beautiful pictures. I do envy you the lilacs, one of my favorite fragrances. Those Negrita tulips are a mouth-watering color, and cherry trees in bloom always say spring to me. A lovely group of pictures-thanks for sending them. Avedon

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

They are such beautiful pictures. Love lilacs - which never get to see in our area. You may have to endure long intervals of snow and ice, but once spring comes - the wait is well worth it.

Nancy

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Oh Thank you for posting these beautiful pictures ofALL the blooms, they are all so gorgeous.

jean

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Beautiful blooms, thank you for sharing! I have that same Sensation lilac, love the color of it, but mine is losing branches every year. Don't think it has long for the world, but it still blooms nicely on what is still alive. The azalea is amazing!

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the full bush of Sensation. Most lilacs do need to have dead trimmed out--this one no exception. Does yours have new basal suckers, Nancy? Lilacs are a small consolation for the cold we endure in the North.

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Mine has very few new suckers, I haven't gotten around to cutting out the dead this year. A couple of years ago it was attacked by some kind of insect, there was sawdust from the shrub all around by the time I realized what was going on. I sprayed & seemed to kill the insects, but the shrub has not really recovered. I do have a couple of small cuttings that I finally managed to root from it that are showing growth, so I will have some replacements for it.

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Just beautiful! I see azaleas like that here too. But only some bloom like that most don't. I often wonder what in the world is the magical key to get such a massive profusion of blooms. Mine certainly has never flowered like that.

That Kwanzan Cherry is beautiful! As well as the lilacs! I love purple, so pretty!

Wish I could smell the lilacs also.

I love the parrot tulips. I was thinking of ordering a few this fall just so that I can see them in person at least once. They are so beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

Rena'

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Nice grouping of pics. That azalea is HUGE. I think the very cold winter is really doing our gardens a favor. :-).

Julia

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Everything looks really lovely in your garden. I love your tulips. I have the parrot blend from Colorblends and mine looks nothing like yours. All three colors representy equally. In fact it is stunning.

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, here are the three colors in those I got, but the orange opened way ahead of the others, and it seemed there were many more orange. I'm not that crazy about parrots myself. They did last fairly long. I suppose I was mildly disappointed by the blend.

• houstmag
    11 years ago

OMG!!! what stunning photos I love them all especially the lilacs.
    Linda