Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Memorial Day Classics

Posted by mantis__oh z6 OH (My Page) on
Sat, May 24, 14 at 20:11

The peonies are splendid this year. We haven't had a heavy rain, so the blooms are not beaten down. It will get hotter in the coming week though.

Old Faithful in the hospital bed I tend:

Raspberry Sundae

Mother's Choice

Some iris:

Dawn Pink

Highlight

More iris. Shortly after this was taken, someone came in and picked most of these. Worse than groundhogs.

I think this is Mackinac Grand.

Dr. Alexander Fleming (Karl Rosenfeld to side):

Rhodo about 10 days ago

The traditional begonia planter. The begonias will give out by July unless this is a much different summer. But where can you get color like this?

That's All Folks (2013 Dykes winner)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Memorial Day Classics

oh mantis, The blooms are so beautiful.I bought several peonies years ago, trying to get a Red one, the label said they were red, so I got them , took them home and planted them and when each of them bloomed all of them was white, so I gave them away,i wanted red and not white.so haven't tried to grow any now for years. maybe I will try them again later.I forgot every thing I knew about them, so would have to study up on

them again and learn what to do with them, before trying it again.

jean

o

Mantis, as always your plants and your photos are magnificent. The peonies are so beautiful, as is the beautiful Rhododendron. Your iris are lovely as well. too bad thieves abound. Thanks you for sharing the beauty with us.

kay

o

Jean, there are a lot of good pictures of a peony garden in Arkansas on Facebook--Chotkowski Gardens. It's in Fayetteville. I don't know if that is near you.

Kay, thank you for your generous comment. Unfortunately, thieves have always been a problem at this garden. Last year, hospital security caught someone at midnight digging out plants.

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Sun, May 25, 14 at 19:44

o

Your peonies & iris are so beautiful. Raspberry Sundae is my favorite, one I need to add to my garden I think. I only have a few of each right now. It seems like I usually still have a few blooming when my daylilies start up, but doesn't look like that will happen this year. It always surprises me how audacious thieves are. We have to tie down flowers on graves or thieves get them. When my MIL was buried just before Valentine's day, there was a huge mass of lovely pink roses placed on her grave. The next morning it was a huge mess with only a few roses left.

o

Beautiful peonies! Nothing beats the fragrance of a good peony, especially Mother's Choice. I just bought one at the garden center by walking down the aisle smelling each of them. I ended up with a lemony white one that isn't a double (my favorite), but smelled better than the rest.

o

Beautiful pics especially the peonies. Mine are still a few weeks away from opening if the weather continues as it is now it maybe sooner. I have (or I hope I have) Raspberry Sundae and it will be the first year blooming for me. At the time I planted RS I also planted Coral Sunset, Duchess de Neours (sp?) and Festiva Maxima. All subject to blooming what the grower said they were ;-).

o

oh, mantis.I do not go on facebook. years ago,I think about 10 or 12 now, when my oldest daughter bought me, my very first computer, ( a used one from the company where she works in N. C.),she told me to never go on none of these chat rooms to visit.and she saidFacebook or twitter.,She said it could destroy my computer. soI have always done what she said. I knew nothing about using a computer,,I have learned a lot since that day, but,so much I don't know.I asked her that day, when she called to tell me I have a package, what am I suppose to do with this thing,as I know nothing about computers,not even how to turn it on.. She said I have another box coming with books to read and study to tell me how to use it.she says she knows that when I want to learn something new,I have always found a book to explain and tell me how to do some thing, so she had no doubts that I would learn how to do it.................jean

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here