Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Mostly round and ruffled

shive
11 years ago

Here are some ruffly cultivars that have been blooming the past two days.

NATALIE ANTOINETTE

WONDER OF IT ALL

BETTIE LOUISE PRINCE

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN

And GSTQ from farther away

WILD APPLE AUTUMN, a new late bloomer from Dan Trimmer. I guess it would be blooming late if it were still in Florida.

GREEN MYSTIQUE

SIERRA GRANDE

EDGE OF YOUR SEAT - I had to throw in one narrow one;)

Debra

Comments (15)

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Wow, WILD APPLE AUTUMN sure is a bright one. Pretty too. My pick for favorite. But I really, really like all the others also.

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

I knew I would like all of these the second I saw the subject...I love round and ruffled. They look so lovely, reminds me of the Miss America pageant with so many pretty girls lined up and trying to pick just one to crown...LOL.

It's hard to choose from all these 'contestants' but I will have to pick Green Mystique. I just planted that one last week and am hopeful mine will grow up to be as pretty as yours.

Celeste

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Loving ruffles as I do, there is no way to choose just one of these beauties. Can't do it. Very pretty.
    kay

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

I can never figure out if I like God Save the Queen. In some pictures it just looks muddy, and in some (like yours) the color is more defined. Green Mystique is my favorite of the bunch. Lisa

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

WOW!!!!!!!, No way I can pick a favorite out of these,I love every one of them,I LOVE Round and Ruffly blooms, and these are all just gorgeous.WONDER OF IT ALL is gorgeous, too.EACH ONE IS PRETTIER THEN THE LAST ONE,AND ALL GORGEOUS.A

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lisa - What I've found about God Save the Queen is that it needs heat to have clear color. When it opens after cool nights, the petal color can be muddy. Also the white tooth edge is temperature dependent.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Green Mystique looks good almost every time I see it (including in my own garden), so I would have to pick it as my favorite. But Wild Apple Autumn is my favorite new daylily of this group. Love the vibrant color. Other daylily colors are nice but it's time for some real zingers to start coming to the fore front (and for me at least I want them to be sunfast/colorfast)...Maryl

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

I'm glad you threw in that last one, it's my favorite of this group, I love the edge. WOIA is also a beauty. I have GSTQ also (hasn't bloomed yet this year), and I'm not thrilled with the color either, but then on the hot days when the color is better, it's a mess by noon because it's just not colorfast at all. Each bloom needs to come with its own little parasol.
    Christine

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Christine - My GSTQ has kept its color on most days when temperatures are in the 90s. Maybe yours will keep its color better this year. The thing that is bothering me is that it takes so long to open, and then doesn't open flat. I wasn't able to photograph it until 11 yesterday morning. I don't remember this much of a problem with blooms opening last year.

Debra

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Beautiful all of them and they all qualify for my favorites.
    Linda

• nat4b
    11 years ago

Round and ruffled are my favorite too! And they are all so beautiful, but if I had to pick only one of them.. well, it's going to be Natalie Antoinette

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    11 years ago

I'm feeling "pinkie" today, so those will be my picks this time. WOW at Wild Apple Autumn though. What a color!

• dipsandtets
    11 years ago

EOYS is a commanding "look at me" bloom and a favorite of mine. I don't have GM but I'm loving yours and WAA would grab anyone's attention.

• mizellie
    11 years ago

I like Sierra Grande..It's pink. I also love Edge of your seat. Gorgeous...Ellie

• missylin
    11 years ago

They are all gorgeous but I love Wonder of it all and green mystique. Love the edging and your foliage looks fabulous. So deep green.