Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avedon_gw

FFOs For Friday Including Star Child

avedon_gw
10 years ago

There were five new openers today and on Star Child I say "Julia, this one's for you" because I have it courtesy of Julia's kindness in giving it to me. I am also going to post a few others that have been seen before, but they were looking good. Avedon

Star Child--so pretty and so short, but this is the first time for it to bloom here. It is listed as a 26" scape, but this baby is on a 6" scape. I was practically lying on the ground to get the picture. Definitely hoping for taller scapes in the future.

Imperial Lemon--one of our favorite yellows and very impressive when the three clumps bloom, a stunning group and also quite fragrant.

Small World Snow Owl--a HUGE bloom, but in our garden it should be named Pink Owl, for it is not white here.

Destined To See--first flower open today and there are tons of buds on our two plants.

Westbourne Mom's Cinnamon Rolls--this is the first time I have seen this plant bloom. Another case of me being out of town and missing all the bloom time. I think I am going to love this one.

Now I am posting some you have seen before:

In My Pink HIgh Heels--the color is so much better on this one now than the first one.

Single Somebody--did the four flowers yesterday, today is a single.

Green Mystique--looking good today

Black Fathom Depths--a much better flower than the first one.

Wild Horses--this scape has now bloomed out, and it is the only one. I certainly hope there will be more scapes sometime soon or else this daylily is going to be leaving here.

That's all for now, thanks for looking.

Comments (12)

• User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Star Child is quite lovely. I also really like the eye on My Pink High Heels - a fun name too!

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

WOW.i LOVE Star Child--I also love Destined To See-- and my favorite one is Westbourne Mom's Cinnamon Rolls but, also really like In My Pink HIgh Heels--.That one is so pretty, also.Gee, you reslly got some beauties.so hard to chose favorites.

jean

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

What is the size of bloom on Pink High Heels? I too have that one; we'll see how blooms compare.

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Nice pic of Star Child but I never saw it get to the registered height here. Hope it does better with you.
    I was wondering about IN MY PINK HIGH HEELS and if the color would be as Judy's photos show. Yours seem to have more deeper tones than Judy's pic where it appears to have lavender/rose tones but I'm wondering if that is the garden conditions, ie soil,weather etc, in your garden.
    I grew alot of Westbourne's here but they didn't do as well as I had expected or they looked too similar to ones I had already and got rid of several. Your pic of WMCR looks great.

Nice grouping of photos Avedon. Looking forward to more :-).

Julia

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Great photos Star child in one of my favorites and so is Black Fathom Depths you know how much I like the smalls especially with those colors and patterns. Thanks for posting them.
    Linda

• ruthz
    10 years ago

All beautiful, but Star Child is my favorite.

• celeste/NH
    10 years ago

That Westbourne is stunning! I just planted out 3 Westbournes, my very first ones, so I am looking forward to seeing those. Westbourne CR is one that I almost got and seeing your picture, now I wish I had. I hope they like it here.
    And of course, my other favorite is your yellow NOID Single Somebody. I loved it in a clump, and I love it by itself. Gotta love those fragrant yellow NOIDs!

Celeste

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Always love Black Fathom Depths, and Green Mystique is lovely. Star Child, short or not, is the star of the show. that is a beautiful bloom! You never know what you get with first blooms, and if your weather has been as crazy as mine you surely want to give that one lots of time to "grow up" but I really like that bloom. Mom' s Cinnamon Rolls is always a favorite too.
    kay

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Sorry, duplicate

kay

This post was edited by organic_kitten on Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 21:37

• shive
    10 years ago

I love the vibrant color on My Pink High Heels! You should get more scapes on Wild Horses. It's known for reblooming multiple times. Mine doesn't anymore because the area it's in is too shady later in summer and fall.

Debra

• avedon_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For all of you that like Star Child, thank you. You will definitely be hearing more about it as time goes by. We'll all be rooting for it to grow taller scapes. Julia, J. Davisson's In My Pink High Heels blooms a different color than Judy's website picture, which is more lavender, so I was surprised when the flowers here are more of a deep rose pink. Mantis, I would say the flower size of IMPHH is 5.5 ", Judy lists it as 6.5" but I know our flowers are bigger when we have had good rains, and we are behind on rainfall here.
    Celeste, knew you would love Single Somebody, it is really turning into a great plant for us, and I hope to see pics of your new WBs if they bloom.

Jean, Kay, Linda, thanks for your comments. Linda, know you love the small ones, and I love seeing the pictures of your "littles". Kay, I have Black Fathom Depths because of you. Jean, hope you are feeling better, it's miserable not getting good sleep.
    Debra, I love the flower of Wild Horses, it has been moved this year, so it will be only fair to give it another year to see if it will ever produce more than a couple of scapes a year. I will be posting pics of three new ones shortly when I get them set up. Avedon

• mizellie
    10 years ago

I really like Star Child. I do hope she grows up cause she would be stunning. Wild Horses is really pretty too!!

Ellie

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County