Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Finally! Every Bed Has Been Weeded and Mulched

organic_kitten
10 years ago

A big Hooray! on that.

Today, I re-weeded and mulched the front bed, the side rose bed, and the rest of the 4X8 bed in the center of the front garden. That
last bed has regular lillies and Shasta daisies in it.

The iris have bloomed an enormously long time, and the roses have just flushed are in the spring flush or are about to be in it, so it has been great fun to see it all.

Now all the beds are weeded and mulched, but the big path in the reworked bed is not mulched, so some re-weeding and mulching will have to be done there, and the entire garden will have to be monitored and weeded as they poke up. I feel ready for bloom season now.
kay

Comments (10)

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Kay you have worn me out just thinking of all the work you have been doing. It has already started to get hot here in FL so my hard work is just about over for me.
    Linda

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda, that is precisely why I have been pushing so hard. It isn't Florida, but it gets so hot and so humid that working outside can not only be uncomfortable, but even dangerous.

My garden is rather large, and I didn't take proper care of it last year, so it was much worse. I fell as if it is under control now. Most assuredly not at all perfect, but under control.
    kay

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

that's great kay,I know that's a big load off the shoulders to have it all weeded.wish I could say the same but, can notI don't know what kind of weeds I have here, but, have never seen any like them before here.there roots go half way to china I do believe, and so hard rto pull out.maybe after this next round of storms and get more rain it will softernthe ground to help a little.I sprayed some of them with round up, thinking no way I am going to be able to pull all these weeds out.I certainly hope so.I took a break today, didn't work outside except to water potted ones that was very dry.I went to wal mart with my young daughter,and she took me to a salon to get a perm.one of my mothers day gifts she said.Then we went by the deli in a nother grocery store and bought dinner in the deli.they have such good food.I didn't think I neeed much to eat, but she disagreeded.I lost 6 pounds since I was at the drs 3 months ago,without even tying to lose it.anyway,I was very pleased to lose it. now I am down to 129. I always feel better at 115 to 120.

jean

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Okay, so hop in your car and come north and help me. LOL.

Julia

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, Jean, we have had very regular rains this year...this is the way weather always was in Alabama until these last years of drought, so the soil here is fairly soft, especially in the beds that have been mulched for a long time. But I totally agree with you about the weeds. All the old familiar weeds in bunches, and some new big baddies with long roots. I'm not through, I just have the beds weeded and mulched, but they come back to a much lesser extent, and I have to keep ahead of them.

Ha! Ha! Julia, I would love to see you and your garden, but it is a bit far...and mine would be knee high again by the time I got back.
    kay

• shive
    10 years ago

Kay - I wish I could say the same. I only have one half of one bed weeded. The rain every weekend has kept me from getting more done, and it's making more weeds grow in the places where I've already cleared them. I guess I shouldn't complain about the rain since it was so scarce last year.

Debra

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Kay, you are always busy in that garden. Great job.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

Well,kay,maybe you will get rain with this next storm coming your way.I didn't get a drop of rain out of it, but my daughters,, 9 miles away got plenty rain.,so I will have to go out and water again tomorrow.

jean

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Don't you just heave a big sigh of relief when you get that first round of weeding done? I just got finished this week too, & with all the rain I'm seeing new ones pop up. Still, won't be nearly so bad from now on.
    I've noticed the iris lasting much longer this year, maybe because it has been extra warm the last couple of years. Seemed like last year the daffs & iris were here one day & gone the next, but they are hanging around much longer this year.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Debra, the rain and uncertain temps (cold/hot/cool/...) wreak havoc on garden work...and encourage the stupid weeds.

Rita, look who's talking about being busy in the garden. As you well know, they require it.

Jean, we got a little, but not the rain they had forecast. We have had a lot of rain this spring, so we are in good shape at the moment.

Yes, Nancy! Such a sigh of relief. You know the drill, push, push . push. Finally. but the weeds start popping up and you have to stay ahead now that you are finally ahead. I agree, everything seems to be having an extended season this year. The late iris are just now blooming, and my monster New Dawn hasn't opened the hundreds of buds it is sporting at this time. It is nice to get to enjoy them, and I would not otherwise have gotten everything weeded. ahead of daylily season. Got to spray everything now.

kay

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations