Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

Spring has finally sprung

celeste/NH
10 years ago

It took awhile for spring to arrive here but finally things are greening up and growing. For the first time I had losses here: 4 daylilies and several roses. I guess I have been lucky until now, being that I'm zone 4/5 and on a mountain. I was surprised that I lost them, since they were established plants and I didn't think the winter was any worse than usual. I am swamped with gardening chores and new beds I'm making and am awaiting the birth of my 3rd grandson (who will live with us) so things are hectic here (and still caring for Mom and babysitting the other two little ones). I do read your posts and enjoy all your pictures so if I don't have the time to comment on all of them, please know that I am enjoying them!

Here's a few tulips that are blooming, although I have nothing grand as Rita! I have gotten away from buying spring bulbs in recent years because all my $$$ goes to daylilies...haha.

Celeste

Comments (16)

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't have the time now to get used to the new Photobucket so I'll do it individually like this.....

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And more.....

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pretty little primrose that comes back each spring....

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ZEUS decided that he wants to stay the baby in the family. He has been sleeping on the changing table we have set up for the grandbabies.

• houstmag
    10 years ago

It sure is great to see photos of your garden again. I absolutely love your primrose such a gorgeous color and I really like the purple tulips. Zeus is looking as handsome as always and very very comfortable on that changing table.
    Linda

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

some brighter-colored tulips....

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

The tulips are gorgeous celeste. I guess I am going to have to try to get me a few this next fall,so I can have a few of my own to look at too.Now you know that ZEUS will always be the baby:). hes such a beauty.,his hair is so pretty and soft looking.Those Primrose are gorgeous,I love the colors of them.And,,,,I liked your Foxglove so much I found one at the feed store little nursery last year and got it and to my surprise it stayed green all winter,and is really looking pretty now,never had any blooms yet, but,I do think its going to bloom this year,love it, then I went to wal mart Monday after my dr visit and they had about a dozen of them in bloom., wasn't watered as usual, but I got me another one and came hom and worked on getting it planted,took me 2 afternoons to get it planted, but,Its planted and has purple blooms on it.looking a little dull compared to my other one, but it will improve., good to see you posting some gorgeous blooms again.,

jean

• timberohio
    10 years ago

Beautiful Tulips! Glad spring has finally arrived for you and Congrats on the new grandbaby. They sure do keep you busy. I have 3 grandbabies as well all under 3 yrs. They don't live with me but when they visit, it sure does wear me out. Can't wait to see more pics.

Andrea

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Just for the benefit of fellow northern gardeners, which daylilies did you lose? The tulips are all nice color combinations, as is Zeus and his pillow.

• shive
    10 years ago

I love your glorious tulips! Such pretty color combos! Zeus is looking good! Who wouldn't want to sleep on that nice, soft changing table?

Debra

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Oh Celeste the tulips are stunning. I do love tulops. And Zeus is as cute as ever.

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Always enjoy seeing the pictures of beautiful plants that won't grow here. Those colors are terrific. Know you are super busy with all the things you have going on, where do you get all that energy, I am envious. Zeus is such a sweetie, but I wonder how he would feel wearing a diaper--LOL! Avedon

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THANKS for commenting everyone.
    Jean, you are right....Zeus will always be MY baby. I am glad you are trying foxgloves. I hope they prosper for you. Here they re-seed like crazy so I keep getting more.

Linda, that little primrose keeps coming back every spring and blooms it's head off. It was a potted grocery store flower I got as a gift one winter and I planted it outside that spring wondering if it could survive and it most certainly has! It's the very first thing to bloom here, even before tulips and other spring bulbs. It's been in bloom for 3 weeks already.

Andrea, I also have 3 grands under age 3 so we have that in common....(counting the one in utero)....and I agree, they sure do wear you out. I just babysit the other 2 but this baby coming will be living with me so I
    don't anticipate getting any sleep after this month...haha.

Debra, so good to hear from you! I walk around my garden and think of you when I see the daylilies from you growing and look forward to your gorgeous photos soon.

Avedon, LOL....Zeus probably wouldn't even mind wearing a diaper he is more human than feline!

Mantis, these are the daylilies that didn't come back from the winter: Berry Cheesecake, Rapid Eye Movement, Navajo Princess and Siloam Cinderella.
    I dug down yesterday and there was nothing there, just a trace of mushy roots so I know they're toast. I had
    each of them for at least 3 winters and never had a problem.

Rita, my tulips could never rival yours but they are what's left that still blooms. Probably this will be the last of them since tulips usually only bloom well a couple of years here then just come up as leaves. I do enjoy them but hate having to spend more money to replant so often, so I will just enjoy yours!

Celeste

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

So glad that you are getting blooms. Your magnificent roses will bloom soon, and you'll have to post those for us.

I would enjoy babysitting my grands a little, but too much of a good thing would be too much. Currently 1, 3, and 5, all boys. Very loud. You will indeed have your hands full. My DIL doesn't know what it is like to lose sleep with a new baby. all of hers had to be awakened for feeding. So Unfair!

If you do buy tulips again, look at the red re-bloomers on Brent and Becky's site. The first ones I bought re-bloomed again, and this was year 3.

Zeus is such a beautiful baby.

So sorry you lost daylilies. I lost two, Margo Reed Indeed, and Oktoberfest, of all things...a huge clump. I suspect the voles, but since putting out the castor oil, I haven't seen any more signs of the little monsters.

Try to steal a few minutes for yourself on a regular basis, for sanity's sake.
    kay

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Beautiful tulips, & I love the primrose. I've tried growing primroses, they sometimes come back a 2nd year but not more than that. My favorite pic is of Zeus, such a gorgeous color.

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kay, Sorry you lost a couple daylilies too. It is heartbreaking especially when they are ones you treasure. I also enjoy babysitting but when the two oldest boys (2 1/2 and 5 months) leave, I am pooped...LOL. With the new one coming very soon I won't have the traditional grandparent role because he will be living with us and when DD goes back to work I will have him full-time. Plus I still care for Mom full-time and she has gotten progressively worse to where she is as helpless as a newborn herself. Thanks for the heads up on the tulips. I might get more if they rebloom more than a couple years.

Nancy, that's too bad the primrose don't keep coming back for you. Maybe they need it colder? This one certainly enjoys the cold I have.
    ZEUS says 'thank you' to all for the compliments. He is indeed one handsome and very loved baby!

Celste