Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

A Spring Tale

mantis__oh
9 years ago

This spring a robin decided to build a nest in the viburnum outside my kitchen window. I enjoyed watching this family develop. The viburnum was so thick I couldn't get many pictures of the nest, but it was obvious that sharing a nest with aggressive siblings was not very romantic.
{{gwi:677697}}

Day after day, the parent birds tried to satisfy the babies' seemingly unquenchable appetities. The babies seemed to be getting quite fat, and late one morning I saw one venturing outside the nest.

{{gwi:677699}}

Soon another ventured out, and later that day the nest was empty. I thought that I wouldn't see them again, but several days later I saw the mother robin with a baby, seemingly showing it how to peck on the ground. But the baby flew to a lower branch of the bush where it was born, and just plopped down, when papa came and fed it a worm. That same day I discovered another baby come back to the lower branches waiting to be fed.

{{gwi:677701}}

The next day I saw the mother with two babies in the grass. I don't know what happened to the third. It was apparent that mother and baby sometimes had disagreements.

{{gwi:677702}}

But mother was still attentive to and proud of her babies:
{{gwi:677703}}

Soon I will awake and find them all gone, but the biggest lesson I learned is that, with robins too, babies may leave the nest, but still come back to freeload. Parental chores do not end so abruptly.

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Thu, May 22, 14 at 9:45

Comments (6)