Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Thursday in the garden of good and evil

shive
11 years ago

The good = blooms that open all the way without splotchies.

The evil = thrips and some new larger bugs that are attacking my daylily buds. Don't they know I've recently sprayed with a product that's supposed to keep them away for four weeks?

ARCTIC LACE has really short scapes this year.

Seedling Awesome Applique X Blazing Saddles

A better photo of FREE WHEELING and the spiderwort clump

DIVINELY BLESSED

PATRICIA SNIDER MEMORIAL still looking good

Seedling Evening Enchantment X Gilded Knight

Debra

Comments (18)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

I like that Patricia Snider Memorial. Did you have a warm winter? Would that affect the length of the scapes?...As for Thrips, they don't seem to bother my daylilies too much. Probably because they are all clustered together in my rose blooms deforming bud and bloom. Hate those things......Maryl

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

I like the pic of ARCTIC LACE twins. The seedling pic is very pretty Debra.

Julia

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

Your photography is so excellent. Beautiful Arctic Lace duo, beautiful seedling, spiderwort makes a great companion for Freewheeling, Divinely Blessed is stunning and Patricia Snyder Memorial is slowly working her way onto a wish list that I shouldn't have due to no room at all. Thanks for sharing your beauties.
    Christine

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    11 years ago

Arctic lace and Divinely Blessed are both so very pure and perfect looking. Love those two.

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maryl - Yes, we had a very warm winter, plus no rain in April. I think the lack of rain during that crucial month really affected the scape height. The two beds I did water during April don't have any midget scapes.

Debra

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

These are all so good, Debra. Love them all--that is a nice seedling. Avedon

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Artic Lace is gorgeous.

I too have som buds with bites out, and have been battling thrips...I have seen grasshopper on some plants and blame them.

That seedling is a real beauty, Debra. I noticed my buds opening more normally this morning since it has heated up.
    kay

• mizellie
    11 years ago

I love Patricia Snider Memorial but your seedling, ( AA) is the one that stills my heart. About the bugs, I don't think they know about the spray since I am having a problem here too!! Ellie

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

I don't see any evil, I only see good which is all your stunning blooms. PATRICIA SNIDER MEMORIAL is again my favorite!

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

I love ARTIC LACE.its gorgeous and so is DIVINELY BLESSED.lOVE THAT SEEDLING, TOO. very pretty.

jean

• Nancy
    11 years ago

I love the spidery ones, & these are all gorgeous! Wonderful color on the last photo!

• Cindy zone 6a
    11 years ago

Artic Lace is very nice. I also like the pic of the spiderwort with Free Wheeling.
    Cindy

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Arcti Lace is stunning and my favorite out of this very pretty group. A lot of my DL's seem to have short scapes this year for some reason, the blooms are great though.
    Linda

• maximus7116
    11 years ago

Wow, Debra, that's a nice looking seedling. What are the stats on that one? The green throat is really nice with that coloration. Of course, the rest of the pics are beautiful, too.

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the comments about the "seedling." Since I have two photos of seedlings here, I'm not sure which one you all meant (except Ellie who specified AA).

Awesome Applique X Blazing Saddles is a first-time bloomer. As a one year old, it has a 27-inch scape with 8 buds. There are three leaf bracts that may support lateral branching and lots more buds as it matures. I haven't measured the flower yet, but I would say it's 7-8 inches.

Evening Enchantment X Gilded Knight (the last photo) is the 5-year-old seedling I've been photographing for years. The shade of purple changes based on the temperature. It's usually a dark red purple. The flower above was photographed in the afternoon when it had faded a bit. The best year it ever had, it had four-way branching with 23 buds per scape. Most years it has 3-way branching and 18 buds with a 5.5-inch flower. This year, after the dry April and more shade from the neighbor's tree, it only has 9-12 buds per scape. It's an evergreen extra early bloomer that is sunfast and rainfast.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kay - Now that things are heating up, most daylilies open without a problem. I can't say that for all my Wonder of It All blooms though. The ones that get the most of hours of morning sun open better than the ones on the other side of the clump that are shaded longer.

Debra

• SheilaG1911
    11 years ago

So very nice! Love all those gorgeous blooms, my favorites are Artic Lace and the Awesome Applique Seedling. Beautiful photography skills!

Thanks for sharing them.

• deangreen
    11 years ago

really like the contrast on that AAxBS pic. the white and dark eye. wow :)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus