Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How early are your scapes/blooms this year?

Posted by mary_lu zone 4/5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 12 at 23:43

Just wondering how early/if early are your DL's this year? I noticed this weekend that I have 5-6 DL's with scapes already. Usually I get scapes/blooms the end of June. So, for me, it is about 3-4 weeks early this year.

Sure is a goofy year. My roses have already peaked and I am needing to start deadheading. Peonies and iris are done. Gosh, I am wondering what I will have left to bloom in August!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How early are your scapes/blooms this year?

Our daylilies started blooming in March, and they are winding down now. Rebloom scapes are coming up for some cultivars, along with seed pods ripening. This is 4-6 weeks ahead of the normal schedule. Of course, we are "way down south."

Nancy

o

Mine started in mid April, about 3 weeks ahead off usual.
kay

o

Mine are two to three weeks early this time.

Debra

o

My first blooms in 2011 were June 24. This year they were yesterday (May 30).

Everything has been consistently about 3 weeks ahead for me this year, from bulbs to roses and now daylilies.

I'm hoping this means I might get good rebloom...

~Anika

Here is a link that might be useful: GothicLibrarian.net

o

I read the posts every day and enjoy them and all the beautiful pictures.
My daylilies are 3 to 4 weeks early. I don't think I'll have many blooming by July. I'm in zone 6.

Rosy

o

It surely has been a crazy year and the plants are all confused. My daylilies are just starting and are 3 weeks early. One has an instant rebloom scape already, and the first scape hasn't even bloomed yet! The daffs were the most disappointing though. They were in a race to the finish, it was so hot they didn't want to stick around. Thalia, one of my favorites, only had blooms for 2 days. I had only one variety of daff that seemed untroubled by the heat and that was Tahiti, the blooms lasted and lasted.
Christine

o

Yes, early. BLACK EYED STELLA is blooming and it usually starts June 21st.

o

Mine are early too. I have scapes on 2/3rd of them, and I found the first scape in the beginning of May! The earliest before was the end of May.
The Stellas and the like are blooming already, and have been for about a month, that's early for them too.
Peonies are done, and roses are done already. And, mums started yesterday (usually, the variety I have starts in August). Crazy :)

o

Mine were also early. They started at the beginning of April this year, while last year they were blooming late April/early May. To be fair though, a few of mine were blooming last year in mid March, so I guess these are sort of early AND late. lol

Nothing much will be blooming here during most of July and August. Too darn hot and a lot of stuff goes dormant. Starting back in September, roses etc will bloom into January before going dormant again for six weeks or so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here