Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizellie_gw

See what I found in my seedling garden!

mizellie
10 years ago

This is one of two that I killed in my garden a few days ago. I really am just trying out the d think I have figured it out!! BTW, this is a young copperhead and I killed him with a BUCKET!! Hahaha!! Ellie

{{gwi:747636}}

Comments (12)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

I hate to see any creature killed, but what the heck else you going to do with a poisonous snake? Pick him up, strap him into a car seat and drive him out to the woods? I've only seen a few snakes up close and personal here in suburbia, and wouldn't know a copper head from a bull snake. Thanks for posting a picture of one.......Maryl

• gdjcb
    10 years ago

Best defense against snakes in the yard/garden is out side cats. Less rodents (snake food) and cats will actually kill and harass snakes, even the poisonous varieties.
    Gale

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

I am terrified of snakes. have had so many close calls with them, that now een looking at a picture of one,I have nightmares at night for a few days.hate them things.I don't know the different ones but,I kill any that I see.

jean

• shive
    10 years ago

I hope I don't see anything like that in my seedling bed!!!

• mizellie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

well Maryl, poisonous snakes deserved to be killed. I don't kill the others because they are actually helpful in the country. Copperheads, unlike the rattlesnakes, strike without any warning so I think it's good that he and his sibling are gone!!

Gale, I have had so many cats here and I agreee that they keep down the mice/vole/mole/snake population but mostly they wonder around and someone near here kills my cats. I am giving them up although I really love cats.

Jean, I sure hope I didn't post something that gave you nightmares. If I did, I am sorry!!

Debra,these were in the patch but I have killed many of them in my beds. When they are really small, they look like earthworms but move differently. This particular one, doesn't have it's distinct pattern on it's back yet but it's there! Ugh, I hate them...

Thank you all for your replies to my post!! Ellie

• gdjcb
    10 years ago

Ellie, Sorry to hear that you have a hard time keeping cats, we have a similar problem. The coyote population is very healthy here and our cats last on average 9 to 12 months.
    Gale

• mizellie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gale, that may be what happens to my cats because we also have coyotes here! Thanks for your post! Ellie

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Oh no. Poisonous Snakes! Good thing you killed them.

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Good for you, Ellie -- glad you recognized it was a copperhead, and glad you're ok!

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Good job, Ellie! Good snakes are okay, but bad ones. nope. gotta go.
    kay

• squirrellypete
    10 years ago

Ellie, I'm not too far from you. East Central Alabama and we also have what appears to be a growing coyote population. I decided to build a big gate across my wrap-around porch entrance so my cats and dog will have a safe place to sleep at night. Of course that doesn't stop the cats from going out and hunting small critters at night but at least it gives them some safety during the most dangerous hours. Knock on wood I've had my outdoor hunter kitty now for about 7 years.

We occassionally shoot at the coyotes if they venture too close to the house at night. Can't see them but you can hear them running through the woods and carrying on. Haven't killed one yet -- I do love most animals so the shots are "half-hearted", mostly we just try to deter them. If they ever do get my cat I suppose those shots will become decidedly more "whole-hearted" in the future.

• mizellie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rita, I always kill a few in the spring and early summer but mostly, they are young ones. I think though, that where theres smoke there's fire. Mama snake has to be around someplace.

Chris, for a few years, I thought the babies were earthworms until I finally noticed how they crawl. I saved one I had killed and had it identified. I don't need to tell you that I look for and expect to see them here. I found a 3 foot rat snake in the middle of my back yard a couple of days ago but let him go because of his diet. I hate all snakes though..

Kay, don't you ever see them in your area? I think that the best snakes are the dead ones!!

Squirelly Pete! I have a long fron porch and have gates at the bannister to keep critters off but I am surrounded by woods and there's lots of wild life. Some are not nice. There have been black bears seen very close by and I try to be aware of my surroundings anytime I am outside. We have tons of dogs ( my husband hunts) both beagles and tree hounds and the noise they make help to keep the critters at bay. I suppose they don't know ( critters) that the dogs are on chains.. Hahaha!! I won't tell if you won't! Ellie

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022