Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

The day that shattered all heat records (photos)

shive
11 years ago

Friday's high temperature of 109 broke all previous heat records for Nashville, TN. The previoius record was 107, set in 1952. These are some pictures from the morning and from the evening. I didn't go outside until 8:00 tonight, when it "cooled off" to 104 degrees. I was surprised to see there were some daylilies that still looked pretty good. There was very little humidity, which was good for the blooms.

Morning blooms first:

RUBY LIPSTICK, the last one. No rebloom scapes this time.

HOOCHIE COOCHIE MAN, the last one.

LAVENDER STARDUST

HUSH LITTLE BABY

APACHE WAR DANCE

GLITTER GAL

ANNETTE'S MAGIC - This one is setting seed in 100 temperatures.

Now some comparison shots to show you how a few daylilies fared in the desertlike heat.

MARGO REED INDEED in the early morning.

MARGO REED INDEED at 8 p.m.

REGAL FINALE at 7 a.m.

REGAL FINALE at 8 p.m.

HUSH LITTLE BABY and HOOCHIE COOCHIE MAN looked surprisingly good too, but my photos were blurry. Others than held up well were AMBER FINALE, MOZAMBIQUE NIGHTS, GREEN MYSTIQUE, ETHEL BUCCOLA and FORESTLAKE RAGAMUFFIN.

Debra

Comments (12)

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

At least you got some photos in the morning but that heat, yikes.
    I am impressed how well some of them held up at that range of temperatures. APACHE WAR DANCE really is beautiful with that red color.

Julia

• houstmag
    11 years ago

They all get a thumbs up from me just for surviving the heat and still looking pretty.
    Linda

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Julia - Apache War Dance isn't my cup of tea. It's too bright for me, and usually has a lot more orange in the red. I prefer the red of Hoochie Coochie man. Apache War Dance hasn't performed well for me. It looks like a real wimp next to Coral Majority.

Linda - Thanks! I was surprised at how well some of them did brave the scalding temps.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Apache War Dance IS my cu-p of tea...I love that red-orange look, but Regal finale is gorgeous too. and Margo Redd did really well. Heavenly Angel Ice seems to be largely unaffected, but the continuing high temps and aridness seem to be bleaching color...and I notice signs of daylilies going dormant too...rebloom scapes or not. 104 today...better than 109. Ah well. Weather! All we can do is talk about it, can't affect it.

I suspect all that watering is paying off for you, Debra. Even in the heat, your plants have some reserve.

kay

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Beautiful DEbra. I just love that HOOCHIE COOCHIE MAN and also APACHE WAR DANCE. LAVENDER STARDUST is very pretty too. Your blooms held really good for that high of a temperture.It got to 103 here yesterday.I didn't water plants yesterday evenning, like I been doing every day and had intended to get up early this morniing and water, but, after a bad night, didnt wake up till nearly 9 this morning,and it was already in the 80"s so i decided I best wait till this evening and water real good, then

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kay - I have several today whose petals were bleached. Cerise Beauty started reblooming today as a light pink instead of cerise. Strawberry Sensation has already gone dormant, and many others that have finished bloom are trying.

Debra

• nat4b
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Love the first two last ones, and it's sad to see them go. Hush Little Baby is a very pretty color. But my favorite is Glitter Gal!

I am always amazed how yours and other people's flowers look in the evening! No such thing here. I was wondering what kind of sun is here in Iowa? :) I now think maybe it's heat and humidity that affect them so much.

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Apache War Dance is very vigorous here, but I too am a bit tired of it, though it is very reliable.

I agree that Ethel Buccola holds up quite well in the heat.

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nat - Glitter Gal is a wonderful late bloomer, and it multiplies very well.

Debra

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

I saw the weather map last night on the news with all the record heat all accross the south. Couldn't believe those temps. Wow, just way too much. It is a wonder that anything looked good thru that kind of heat. But I have to go with HOOCHIE COOCHIE MAN and RUBY LIPSTICK.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

I can't tell you how great it is to see AM and PM posts when there is an obvious difference. Just look at Regal Finale (which I love in the AM, but not in the PM)... Every time I see Hush Little Baby I think I need to add it to my collection. Your comments about her add to that feeling. Great picture of the triplets Lavender Starburst, and Margo Reed indeed seems to have whitened by the PM and I like that effect just fine. Is your Green Mystique on reblooms? Mine stopped blooming about two weeks ago and I'm just wondering...sorry about the heat. This is beginning to be a repeat of last year. I walked out yesterday morning at 10:30 to begin watering my pots and it was already 98 degrees. Horrible. And our city just called us to say that the main pumps for the water supply had broken and we are on water restriction. With everything I have in pots (including daylilies) this sends a shiver down my spine....... Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maryl - My Green Mystique had an instant rebloom scape that started a couple of days ago when the original scapes were having their last blooms. It was 100 degrees by 11 a.m. here today. I'm so sorry to hear about you being on water restriction. Hopefully it will be very temporary. We are facing severe drought status if we don't get any rain next week. The forecast has a 20-30% chance for three different days. Some of the surrounding towns are already on voluntary water restriction. Nashville will be taking similar measures if that rain doesn't materialize.

Debra