Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squirrellypete

Annual trip to the daylily farm, yay!!

squirrellypete
10 years ago

Super excited we're going to our local Mom and Pop daylily farm in Georgia tomorrow and I just had to share my glee. I'm taking a friend who's just recently getting into daylilies. She's never been to a farm before so I look forward to seeing her reaction. Anyone else planning a farm trip soon, and if so where are you heading?

Here's what the owners are pre-digging for us since we knew we'd want these but there are soooo many more that aren't listed on their website so I expect we'll come home with even more. Can you say "work cut out for us" lol? Not the latest and greatest varieties but some tried and true beauties. Alot of these are actually replacements for varieties I lost to voles and a few to drought in the last few years. From now on I'm not planting single fans in my beds, gonna' pot them and let them clump up first before putting them out there. That way they'll stand a fighting chance of not being totally annihilated by the little hell rats. They don't seem to do enough damage to an established clump to really phase it but single or double fans can be toast in no time.

La Charmante
Lady Bug's Wedding
Seductor
Shaman
Super Double Delight
Tender Love
Persian Market
Saigon Summer
Hamlet
Buried Treasure
Imperial Guard
Pink Attraction
Sea Urchin
Summer Sun Ray
Hot Embers
Matt
American Revolution
Music Box
Pippa Passes
Dunedin
Scarlet Orbit
Exotic Gown
Navajo Princess
Prince of Monaco
Rodeo Cowboy
Double Challenge
Scatterbrain
Pumpkin Kid
Tailormade
Kate Carpenter
Ruffled Lemon Lace

So, any on this list in particular that ya'll are fond of?

Comments (5)

• TNY78
    10 years ago

Wow! I don't have any input on the varieties, since I'm just getting into them too, but that sounds like a lot of fun!!! You have quite the list already...I started googling some of the pictures, and they're all so pretty!

Tammy

• ruthz
    10 years ago

I don't have any of those.
    What's the name of the farm and where is it located?
    I'm going to North Georgia in a few weeks to visit my brother and SIL and they also love lilies.

• shive
    10 years ago

What a list! Are you sure all these will fit in your car. You might need a U-Haul. LOL I grow or used to grow several on your list. They are all good solid garden performers. I still have Shaman, Persian Market and Scarlet Orbit. Those are very good choices.

Debra

• squirrellypete
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, we made it back. Boy was it a hot day to go! Glad we took the tour in the morning and came back later to pick everything up. Between myself, my Mom, our friend and her mother we left with over 80 different varieties. I felt so bad they had to dig the plants in that heat and humidity. But amazingly they got it done.

Fortunately we came in my friend's mini-van!

Debra/shive -- thanks for your input. I had Shaman last year that became vole bait so this is a replacement. I LOVED its intense yellow color though. Persian Market and Scarlet Orbit will be new for me this year.

ruthz -- the daylily farm is called Fern Cove (www.ferncove.com) operated by Mr. and Mrs. Denney. It's located in Newnan, GA. I have no frame of reference since I've never been to other farms but my impression is it's probably on the smaller side compared to other daylily farms. He has been trying to scale back a bit due to the upkeep. But he has a very impressive list of varieties. They have just a sampling posted on their website but there are many more than that available. We've been going there off and on for about 18 years now. She will mail you a master list the old fashioned way if you contact her and request one.

They also have special $1 sales periodically on certain varieties that Mrs. Denney has started posting on Facebook. They can happen anytime of year so it's good to follow them on FB. Also, they often have Fall clump sales on select varieties that are great if you want to get alot of bang for your buck.

I walked away with everything I previously posted plus a bakers dozen more:

Buster
    Heavenly Treasure
    Toltec Sundial
    Amadeus
    Damascene
    Quinn Buck
    Sweet Spot
    Midnight Raider
    Jean Swann
    Gentle Beauty
    Daphne Dale
    Dominic
    Pat Mercer

I can't wait to get them planted/potted over the next few days!

Danielle

• Nancy
    10 years ago

You really made a haul! I don't have any except Sea Urchin. Beautiful flower but hasn't multiplied much since I got it.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting