Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_frenzy

Suggestions on best purple and best yellow daylilies

flower_frenzy
10 years ago

Hi. I thought I'd throw this out there and hopefully some of you can help me. I am planning to put in daylilies along my 60 foot fence line. I'm going to alternate them with a lime green sun-tolerant hosta, so I thought either deep purple or deep yellow/gold would work nicely. I'd also consider watermelon pink or rose pink.

The criteria are that I'd like a daylily that gets at least 2 feet tall and I really don't want to pay over $15 per plant because I need to buy a lot of them.

I would appreciate any suggestions that you all may have regarding deep purple, pink or deep yellow/gold daylilies fitting those criteria. Pictures would be great. Also, if you have any recommendations of where I should purchase the plants it would be much appreciated. Thank you!

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 4:07

Comments (17)

• deangreen
    10 years ago

Siloam Amazing Grace is a nice one for early blooms. :)

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dean. I'll check it out.

• sann777
    10 years ago

I have a great deep yellow one: Sherry Lane Carr
    I have over 270 daylilies and lots and lots are yellow, but
    Sherry Lane Carr is a great one. Also, look at Americas's Most Wanted. It is a beautiful yellow also.
    Sherry Lane Carr

America's Most Wanted

Sarah

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those are gorgeous, Sarah! Thanks for posting pics!

• lynxe
    10 years ago

One very nice purple that can be found in lots of catalogs is STRUTTER'S BALL, an older Moldovan. One caveat, however: I had mine in a spot that gets a lot of sun and, by as early as 9 a.m., the color was seriously affected by heat & sun. I had to move it to a spot that makes it very happy - and when it's good, it's a beautiful purple.

Since you're in a much warmer part of the country than I am, there are probably better, or at least, different choices for you.

You might want to look for a local seller of older daylilies who lets you choose field-grown clumps. There's a place around here that does that, with most of their selections older, some even going back to the 1980s & earlier, and usually pretty inexpensive on a per-fan basis. I went there last weekend to buy hostas and actually (finally, after all these years!) came home with CONDILLA, a very large clump for $10.

Speaking of which, that reminds me that, one summer, I bought a huge clump of CARTWHEELS from them. Given the size of the clump (nobody seems to want older yellows), I probably paid less than a dollar per fan. You didn't say what form or what size flower you prefer, but CARTWHEELS is a distinctive deep yellow daylily. It's also a Stout winner! Of course, since it's taller (registered height = 30"), it might force you to look for a taller purple. Also, it's a dormant....can you successfully grow dormants? (STRUTTER'S BALL is also a dormant.)

Sun-tolerant lime green hostas....are you thinking of something like Sum and Substance? If you get that one, be aware that it can carry HVX that may not show up for many years. If you haven't already done so, I'd go over to the hosta forum for advice on sources. Also, they'll be able to suggest alternatives, especially if you don't want a hosta that large.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the advice. I was thinking the same thing...maybe it'd be best to find someone locally to buy the daylilies from.

My source for hostas tests for HVX regularly. I already grow around 75 varieties and I'm always happy with what I purchase from them. They're called Sebright Gardens and they carry over 800 varieties in their catalog alone. Their garden is fun to tour also, if you're ever in Oregon. The hosta I'm getting is called Squash Casserole, and it's actually more of a yellowish green than a lime green. It'll take the afternoon sun (at least here in Vancouver, WA) and still look great.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 19:18

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Omomuki is a great yellow here.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh! LOVE that one!!!

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Siloam Amazing Grace is for sale $3/double fan by this vendor from whom i bought 5 plants last year. His prices are incredible and plants are fantastic. All of them are doing great this year and all plants are correctly named. He does not ship to AZ, CA, HI, NV, OR, UT, WA though. He also offers wholesale pricing on some daylilies: $2.5/double fan or lower depending on quantity.
    Google the following name and it will take you to his website

Richard Williamson's Shepherd Daylily Farm

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Unfortunately, I live in WA state. :(

• random_harvest
    10 years ago

Great purples: Evening Enchantment, Super Purple, Catherine Neal, Nosferatu, Bela Lugosi. These hold up to my summer heat -- might not be an issue for you.

Great yellow/golds: Mary's Gold, Betty Warren Woods, Golden Prize, and an enthusiastic ditto to Omomuki and Sherry Lane Carr.

These are all older cultivars that are widely available.

• wren_garden
    10 years ago

I put in a large DL bed in one go a number of years ago. I looked for a good mix of Early, mid and late season bloomers. You are warm enough to even look for repeat bloomers.
    Purples and Pinks are a little difficult to photograph to their true color so look in more then one site to compare the color of a favorite to see if it looks like the color you want "most times" I also looked on "Tinkers" data base as those photos come from gardeners not sellers.
    Many purples will look plum or reddish purple. If you want a blue purple look for the word blue in the written description of the variety. If you get a chance to go to a local DL farm in person, do research ahead of your trip. See if you can get the farms list ahead of time and look up the ones you are interested in on Tinkers. http://www.daylilydb.com/
    When you visit a DL farm the color you see that day may not be exactly what you get in your garden. The time of day, the temperature, the conditions on the farm effect the color.
    I live near a DL farm " Cottage Gardens Daylilies" in Medina NY. I bought a number of DLs on a cool day after an early morning rain. They looked true purple to me that day. When grown in my garden they were Maroon, burgundy, wine colors , not the blue purple I saw that day.
    This is not to make things more complicated for you, just my experience shared. That is one of the good things about doing a big bed, there is room for all shades of color.
    Good luck and have fun!

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Wren-garden, you are right about the purple. I bought spacecoast surprise purple last year expecting to see purple. It opened FFO today and the color is exactly like what you said " Maroon, burgundy, wine color" and absolutely not purple.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, I really appreciate all of this great advice. Keep it coming! :)

• lynxe
    10 years ago

"I bought spacecoast surprise purple last year expecting to see purple. It opened FFO today and the color is exactly like what you said " Maroon, burgundy, wine color" and absolutely not purple."

I would definitely add BELA LUGOSI to that category - in my garden at least. I've only ever once seen it as a true purple. It was extraordinary and stunning. It's always a great plant, but it's what I sure would call burgundy or wine or whatever.

• shive
    10 years ago

Purples - Bela Lugosi, Court Magician, Nivea Guest

Yellows - Betty Warren Woods, My Darling Clementine, Bill Norris

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shive-"Bill Norris" was definitely at the top portion of my list. That's supposed to be a great one. Loving "My Darling Clementine" and "Betty Warren Woods" as well. I think I'm becoming partial to the yellows.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 14:56

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor