Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellowing of Leaves

Posted by gldno1 z6MO (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 2, 09 at 5:33

I am beginning to see yellow leaves on some, not all, of my daylilies. It is enough that it is very unsightly. Just a few buds here and there, still no blooms. We had a very wet, cool spring and then some hotter than normal days.

Is this a normal thing, do you think. I see no insects, just yellowing leaves.
TIA

Glenda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellowing of Leaves

I"ve got the same thing here in okc, all the bottom leaves are yellowing. I signed it off to a rainy wet spring cause I know my soil has to be all right...

however, the weird thing is I like to keep them watered every couple of days, but the yellow leaves confuse me as them having too much water but after 4 days of no rain???

there's my 2 cents

o

I would be a bit concerned about the possibility of crown rot. If I see the new growth showing signs of yellowing before the older leaves I usually will suspect crown rot as being the cause. More so if we have had a long run of very wet weather and the soll is heavier and wetter than usual. In the garden here I've found it to be more of a problem with newer plants that haven't established themselves yet....I've VERY rarely had an older more established plant develop crown rot issues. I would probably lift one of the more yellow lilies and look to see if you have an abundance of rotten roots or bad smelling decomposition around the crown area of the plant. If you do you will have to thoroughly clean away the rot and either move or pot the plant/plants so that they have a chance to recover, and limit watering until you see signs of healthy new growth.

Linda

o

I agree with Linda - I've seen it happen here. If more than just the very bottom leaves are turning yellow, it could be a forerunner of a plant dying from crown rot. Since I've been using Kphite, I haven't lost any more. You might want to do some research on it.

Nancy

o

on my plants it's only; the bottom outside leaves that are yellowing only. I think I'm going to raise them all higher up this fall, seems like the mulch and stuff might be a bit deep around them.....

o

Thanks everyone. I have pulled some yellow ones from the middle. I think I will lift the worst offender and take a look.

I knew you all would have some ideas......thanks again.

Will also research the suggestion of using Kphite.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here