Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dzejna_gw

Lost label

dzejna
9 years ago

Hmm my labels got completely erased on several cultivars and I am having hard time pinpointing potential names or at least parentage on many. Anyone has this one in their garden?

Comments (10)

• FarawayFarmer
    9 years ago

That's an extremely difficult, if not impossible question to answer, these days with tens of thousands of named varieties.

Have you considered making a chart? I have a spreadsheet that pinpoints the location of each daylily.

• dzejna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah I actually considered doing that this year, so much for good intentions. :) Thanks for the advice!

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

The colors look somewhat like Web of Intrigue. For all those posters who are seeking identifications, please supply as much information as possible. What zone are you? What is blooming now--early, early midseason, midseason, late? What is the size of the blossom (very difficult to tell from pictures, since a close-up of a small flower disguises the size)?.

Provide more than one picture. Note the source of your lily, if possible. Note how many years you've had it. We have identified a lot here, since certain cultivars are more frequently propagated. However, as much information as possible is needed.

• dzejna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are right and here it is, early bloomer, scapes 22", flower 6", I am in zone 7. That is all info I can provide with certainty. I have over 200 cultivars and some get moved, some die. I never had Web of Intrigue so I don't think it's that one (unfortunately). :)

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

A chart wouldn't help me a whole lot, as I am always moving one some where else as most are in pots, now.i have a couple plants that I have lost the tag on them, one pot just has no tag left for some reason.dont have no idea where it went to and I know I had one in the pot., a couple more plants has tags that is faded out and I cant read what it may have been, even if it has got a couple letters left.maybe I can identify them when they bloom.doubtful, but, possible.

jean

• FarawayFarmer
    9 years ago

Get a bag of those small white plastic labels that are perhaps 1/2 " wide and three or four inches long.
    Mark them, and stick them very deep into the pot beside the tag. They sell them at Home Depot.

Just a thought.

Or find something that will stick to the outside of the pot.

In the hot dry heat of Arizona do you have a problem with the soil in pots drying out? Especially when the sun hits the outsides of the pots?

We do, here in Fla.

• dzejna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

believe me I did all kinds of labeling systems, metal , wood, plastic..it did work partially for the plastic ones (part that was in soil), but the part exposed to sun bleached all out. Here in TX I find daylilies doing well in pots especially big ones. I have a recycle green plastic bin full of 2 year old seedlings that made it through the harshest weather and are blooming now. :)

• dzejna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And yup Jean, I share your pain! :) Same here...

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

I figure that I pay so much for my daylilies, it is worth extra for a permanent label. They have been in the garden for 6 years, and since they are engraved, no changes. You can see part of the label for Ruby Lipstick in this photo

kay

• dzejna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very cool. :) How do you even go about engraving, do you order it online?

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner