Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniegolden_gw

3 FFO's for Friday

anniegolden
11 years ago

Quartz Rainbow blooming low in the foliage. But it's a very hefty bloom.

Santa's Little Helper. The shape isn't perfect, but the color is. This is only the 3rd year in my garden, and I think there are 15 scapes.

Early Days. The color on this one should intensify with subsequent blooms.

Marseilles Watercolor (again) with a little bit of charcoal in the eye.

OT - species hydrangea and astilbe in the shade jungle.

Christine

Comments (13)

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Great photos I especially like Marseilles Watercolor, I really like those patterns in the eye.
    Linda

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

I was happy to see a photo of 'Early Days'. Mine was planted late last summer and didn't bloom since it's an early. That Marseilles Watercolor is really something special! And I like your shade jungle. It is a lot like mine with the astilbes and hostas. Very pretty and refreshing on a hot day.

Celeste

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Marseilles Watercolor is always a favorite o9f mine, and the shade garden is stunning.
    kay

• shive
    11 years ago

Quartz Rainbow is just a classic Stamile beauty, and Marseilles Watercolor is the pinnacle of his hybridizing for patterns. My husband and I were commenting this morning about how nobody did large, round and ruffled better than Stamile. He brought daylilies further than any other hybridizer in every form. I sure miss Floyd Cove without him.

I'm wondering about the color of Santa's Helper. It looks red purple on my monitor. Isn't it more of a true red? Everyone says that ones a tremendous performer.

Your shade garden is looking even more fantastic with the astilbes in bloom. I miss all the shade I used to have. With three trees gone on the property, there are only a few shady spots along the fence line. And those get full sun in the late afternoon when it's the hottest.

Thanks for sharing your lovely photos!

Debra

• anniegolden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Debra, If Santa's Little Helper looks purplish on your monitor, this is not correct. It is deep deep saturated velvet red with black veins and a glowy sunrise throat that graduates almost to black. Small but stunning, and altogether grand. And I was wrong, there aren't 15 scapes, there are 16. Low bud count, though.
    Christine

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Beautiful. I love the shade jungle. The daylilies are great too! My favorite is Marseilles Watercolor. So pretty.

• nat4b
    11 years ago

Beautiful daylilies! My favorite is Early Days with its bitone look.
    Love the shade garden! My astilbes are blooming too, and I have two of the same colors together like in your right side of the picture, but mine are small yet. I especially like that light purple or lilac-y color, the far right one. Mine is called Amethyst, I think the name fits.

• anniegolden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for looking and commenting. Nat, Early Days gets much better. The early blooms are faded and washed out compared to what comes later. And, yes, Amethyst is my favorite of the astilbe also. I really like it near the blue hosta (regal splendor). Do not read the following if you wish to stick to a sensible gardening budget: Hallson's (online) has GREAT astilbe.
    Christine

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    11 years ago

I really love Marseilles Watercolor. Very pretty!

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

I love EARLY DAYS and SANTA'S LITTLE HELPER. and I just love your shade jungle garden,Astillbes are gorgeous, I love them things, but I just don have no shade, except under the magnolis tree, so I have pots of hydrangea's and Hosta's under it.

jesn

• dipsandtets
    11 years ago

I agree that your shade garden is wonderful and looks so neat and relaxing. MW is really attractive.

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Your shade garden is beautiful.
    Marseilles Watercolor has such a pretty pattern.

Julia

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

Your shade garden looks so inviting. Love the shady sections on a hot day. The astilbes are so pretty. Did you have to mention Hallsons to a bunch of addicts though LOL.
    Marseille Watercolor is my favorite too.
    Val