Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

FFO Blooms - Wed and Thurs

Julia WV (6b)
10 years ago

Starting out slow but that is a good thing. I want the bloom season to last ;-). Pics are taken early when it is a bit cooler(low 60's). Right now my patio thermometer says we are nearing 80 F already.

Wednesday FFO's

Double River Wye - I have two plantings of this and the back garden one is blooming first. A true bloom machine when it gets going and the scapes are tall.

Bahama Butterscotch - Another one that I have two plantings of since it needed to be divided. The back garden one is starting to bloom. Always blooms above the foliage.

Royal Eventide - a disappointment this year. Low in the foliage so far.

Thursdays FFO

Black Eyed Bully - a wonderful daylily. This has been planted in my front garden since it arrived in 2009. The eye is that dark. No camera distortion. I think this fall it will need to be divided though.
{{gwi:752563}}

Storms will be rolling in this afternoon. Hopefully we get rid of the humidity.

Julia

Comments (12)

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

It's good to know that Double River Wye flowers so well for you. I was going to buy it at a nursery and the owner said 'why, there are a lot of nicer blooming yellows out there'. Glad you posted and said how well it does for you. My favorite is Royal Eventide, Does it always come up that low in the foliage or is it just something its doing this year? Love the color. Marg

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marg: I have never seen Royal Eventide get to the registered height here. I've had it since 2011 and it is hit or miss with how the scapes come up. Weather maybe?

I love the softness of Double River Wye and I prefer to have different bloom forms in the garden. It always doubles unlike so many other doubles you see. I got mine from Robin Calderon (who grows/has grown Kropf daylilies) a couple of years ago. Just be sure if buying from a nursery, it is a true Kropf daylily.

Julia

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Julia, You have a nice selection to begin the season. I especially like Double River Wye and Black Eyed Bully. I always really like the really dark eyes, so I may just have to add that one to my garden. all of you blooms are lovely.

When they bloom in the foliage consistently, it is annoying. I am having a year when there is a lot of that in plants that have never done it before, so I blame it on the weather.

kay

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info Julia. Marg

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

I got Black Eyed Bully as a result of your previous posts. Here it is blooming in a pot. The eye is indeed intense. The base color has a magenta tone that I don't particularly relish (my photo is more pinkish than reality), but I think when it is in the garden, it will be a nice focal point.

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

My choice here is Black Eyed Bully, I think it has a dramatic look to it. Double River Wye is a pretty yellow, glad it is a good one for you. Avedon

• shive
    10 years ago

Lovely ffos! My favorite is Black Eyed Bully. Such a wonderfully deep, dark eye that you could fall right into it! Mantis, yours is looking good too!

Debra

• shive
    10 years ago

Lovely ffos! My favorite is Black Eyed Bully. Such a wonderfully deep, dark eye that you could fall right into it! Mantis, yours is looking good too!

Debra

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

I love Bahama Butterscotch and Black Eyed Bully. Beautiful blooms.

• deangreen
    10 years ago

double river rye is one I highly recommend. love that thing and have it two place right in the center of each bed where it can bloom and shine shine forth! I also like that black eyed bully! nice pics! :)

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Nice FFOs! My favorite is Black Eyed Bully, very dramatic. I esp. like the pic with all the buds

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am glad to see so many of you liking Black Eyed Bully. Always has tall scapes, many buds and that black eye is definitely a draw. I have several of Keith Miners intros here but BEB, by far, has been the best. I also got from him Cherry Custard Cheesecake, Raspberry Banana Cheesecake, Plum Foolish and last fall Sculptured Sea Shells. Just goes to show you can bring a bit of California to the East Coast ;-)
    mantis: I don't think you will be disappointed with it. Increases really well for me here.

Raining a nice light rain so far and the weather forecast is for rain showers on and off for the next couple of days. I have several other daylilies which look like they want to open so maybe tomorrow I'll have some more pics to share.

Julia