Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

scapes at last

marricgardens
10 years ago

I know I'm impatient. Yesterday I went around and checked the daylilies. Haven't checked them for a while because I was busy planting seedlings. I was pleasantly surprised to see that 2 of my seedling were sending up scapes. These were from seeds I had bought on the Auction. The other scape is on Always Afternoon.

{{gwi:755243}}
{{gwi:755244}}

This is my little angel figure. I put her in the middle of a daylily bed.

{{gwi:755247}}

This is my new blue delphinium. I chose a shorter one because it went into the daylily bed.
{{gwi:755249}}

Lastly, here is my rock garden.

{{gwi:755251}}

Thanks for looking. Marg

Comments (15)

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Know you are so excited to see those scapes!! What lovely pictures, and since blue is my favorite color, those delphiniums are a big hit with me, wish I could grow them. I will be looking forward to your DL photos when you get blooms. Avedon

• shive
    10 years ago

Hooray! The scapes are on the way. I love the angel statue and those blue delphiniums!

Debra

• booberry85
    10 years ago

Jealous! I'm your neighbor to the south (Central New York), and no scapes yet. I keep hoping. I want to say they usually bloom in end of June / July around here.

Love the arrangement with the angel statue!

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments! The delphinium is supposed to be 3-4' high and I thought that color and height would look good with the daylilies. I always wanted some sort of statue in the garden and when I saw the angel I knew that was the one. Booberry, I'm sure you will get scapes soon. Marg

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I love your angel and your delphiniums. Congrats on the scapes, should be blooms soon.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Everything looks so pretty! Hurray for scapes!

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

Your rock garden is impressive. I like it, like tha pretty blue flowers, too and that angel statue/ very pretty, and soon we will have daylily blooms to post:)

jean

• mizellie
    10 years ago

Marg, love the rock garden. Mine is covered with whatever . It's a nice place for the angel figure.. I also like the hayrake. hooray for the seedling scape! Ellie

• sann777
    10 years ago

How did you treat the daylily seeds? Did you just plant them in containers and water all winter? Your yard looks really nice - lots of room!! I have about filled my 1 acre lot. Sarah

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Yahoo for scapes it won't be long now. Marg you have a lovely garden love the angel with the hay rake.
    Linda

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When I decided to put rocks in the garden, DH drove round the farm and found some nice big ones. I like rocks that have a bit of 'character'. The one with the variegated irises beside them were originally put there to cut the winds and protect my variegated willow. Since the large rock did not have a flat bottom, we put the small one in there to help balance it. I still have to fill in the rest with more of the iris. The hay rake was here when we bought the farm and I was just looking for an excuse to use those wheels. DH put the rod in between them and we positioned them in the middle of a daylily bed. Next I wanted a statue and the angel filled the bill. I have that spot planted with non daylilies, columbine caerulea, soapwort, sweet Cecily and a lily. I think it will look nice when it's matured a bit and weeded!

Sarah, the seeds for the seedlings I posted were bought from the Auction and were ready to plant so I did nothing to them. The seedlings I did this winter were done in the water bath. The seeds must be pre germinated. I planted them in Pro Mix in cups until they germinated and then moved them to the water baths. I bought some Rubbermaid containers (make sure they have flat bottoms or your cups will fall), then I made sure to add water to the containers all winter. The trick is to never let them dry out. Fertilizer can be added every few waterings.
    Thanks for the nice comments everyone. Marg

• deangreen
    10 years ago

great photos, every spring I do the same thing, walk around and look for that little bit of daylily leaf popping up off of center and any sign of scapes. ha :)

• booberry85
    10 years ago

I have scapes! Apparently they needed another day or two of rain to show themselves!

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Congrats! Great to see the scapes isn't it? Marg

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Hurray scapes in a very pretty garden.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz