Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniegolden_gw

The pudding was proofed this year

anniegolden
9 years ago

Hello daylily folk,
I haven't posted here much lately, but have been lurking and enjoying your beauties. I too, miss Rita

But I thought I might post a message that might be helpful to others in my region. Central Delaware. We had a strange winter with multiple snowfalls late in the season, one after the other. Some of my small collection of daylilies sailed through this and seem to have even benefitted. Others not. Here's the list.

Ones that fared badly:
Silver Rings disappeared completely!
Born to Run is just awful. (To be shovel pruned)
Bas Relief is just awful. (Shovel pruning)
Clear Mountain Morning (previously a strong grower) is terrible. (Shovel pruning)
Canadian Border Patrol (also a strong grower in the past) is very sad.

Ones that seem to have liked the winter:
Chang Dynasty (a total scape and bud queen, perhaps emperor)
Lady Lucille (23 scapes on one plant)
Double Firecracker has exploded (wish I liked it better)
Marseilles Watercolor
Braided Edgings
Early Days
Swan Angel
God Save the Queen

I'll post pics of Chang Dynasty and Lady Lucille once they start blooming. They are the daylily champs in my yard.

Christine

Comments (8)

• shive
    9 years ago

Interesting to see your list. I too lost all except one fan of Silver Rings. Born to Run was not impacted, but is still a wimpy plant in my garden. I completely lost God Save the Queen. Mine did not care for last winter at all.

Debra

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Our Silver Rings did poorly too but I believe it is coming back. Our Born to Run has always been puny. We thought it was the terrible soil (mixed with white rock) we had it in. We moved it last fall and so far it is ok. We'll see what it does. God Save the Queen did fine here.

Nancy

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

I don't grow any of the ones of your lists but look forward to seeing pics of Chang Dynasty. That one has always tempted me.

• Nancy
    9 years ago

I've always thought Bas Relief was very interesting, thought about getting it, kinda glad I didn't after reading your experience. I'm missing a couple of dayliliesMee ying & tigereye Spider, moved both of them last fall but I can't think where I moved them. I really would hate to lose Tigereye Spider. I keep thinking they will show up somewhere.

• opnjmprs
    9 years ago

I lost Silver Rings, Violet Becomes You, Moment In The Sun, and Heaven's Declaring is down to 1 small fan, and Purple Maze went from a large clump to 2 fans.

Debra, I have a 12 fan clump of God Save the Queen blooming right now. If you would like a few fans in the fall, I'd be happy to send them to you for the cost of shipping.

Linda

• anniegolden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Linda, my wish list had one daylily on it - Purple Maze. Now I have an empty wish list.

Ngraham, Bas Relief has trouble opening and is usually deformed, has low bud count and the number of fans shrunk.

Hoosier and Shive, in my opinion Stamile should not have introduced Born to Run. Maybe it grows well in Mississippi. But in my yard the scapes have never been taller than 10 inches and most blooms (3 per scape) are blotchy and scraggly.

Maximus, Chang has modest bud count here, but lots of scapes which seem to arise in succession extending the bloom period, is a great grower and every bloom is perfect.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences, it's very helpful.

• njmomma
    9 years ago

I was out today wondering why I have no buds on a few of mine and I'm attributing it to the past winter. I don't think I've lost entire plants, but some are putting up scapes very late.

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Spacecoast Behavior Pattern is down from a robust clump to a puny single fan...which has nonthelss put up a rebloom scape. One of my Emmerich daylilys, Filed to overflowing also lost a lot of fans. It was a hard winter all over.
    kay

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists