Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

I Need a front yard daylily for the south

msrose
10 years ago

I want something with a "wow". I had always thought Pandora's Box was pretty when I saw it in pictures, so that's what I have planted now, but I find it a little boring. I want something that will grab your attention when you drive by, but not anything too tall. It seems like there was a guy on here severals years ago that had Siloam Merle Kent in his front yard and he talked about what a show it put in on. I'm guessing it wouldn't rebloom though. I would love to have a rebloomer that put on a big show at least the first time it bloomed. Any experience with Merle Kent? Any others that come to mind? I'm drawn to pinks/lavendars, but open to other colors. I don't really want yellow though because I already have a couple of Stella D'Oro in another bed out front.

Comments (11)

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN has shown fantastic growth and puts on a big show in our zone 8 garden.

Nancy

• ruthz
    10 years ago

I'd go with orange for a drive by attention getter.
    I have Primal Scream and Alabama Jubilee and those are what stand when I just look toward my back yard.
    I haven't had them long enough to know if they fit your criteria, but there's a lot of great oranges

• FarawayFarmer
    10 years ago

American Splendor is a prolific bloomer here in Florida, as is Spacecoast Pumpkin Power. Both cultivars stand out well in a crowd.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Even though I know it would stand out, I'm not much of an orange person. The oranges that I do like though are the ones that have other colors with it. I remember there were several with Halloween in the name I liked.

I do like the color of God Save The Queen.

I pulled out my wish list from a couple of years ago and two from there were Meet Joe Black and Open My Eyes. Are either of those good bloomers/eye catchers?

• FarawayFarmer
    10 years ago

Meet Joe Black is definitely a standout.

For my taste, however, the selfs do better at standing out, especially those that seem to positively glow.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Another suggestion is Ledgewood's fireworks. It blooms for a long time and consistently re-blooms. Had two sets of re-blooms last year (Not a typical year, but one rebloom is). And it is definitely a standout.

kay

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've been looking at pictures and thinking about what I really want in a front yard daylily and I think I want something that is a good bloomer, but not necessarily a vibrant color. I'm drawn to pinks, purples, and lavendars. I'm even okay with the softer shades. I also don't want anything too tall.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

You might consider Bill Watson. He is one of my first ones to bloom, and he is a reliable re-bloomer. a pretty pink with a nice
    slightly prism-like throat. Good substance, long bloom period, re-bloom

kay

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kay - That's sounds exactly like what I'm looking for!

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

My favorite lavender is Palace Garden Beauty. I never tire of the beautiful lavender washed shades. Lavenders are my favorite. An old one that I got more of this year that really looks lovely is the white Joan Senior. It is eye catching - have it in my white bed - and blooms lots. I dont like blooms that are down in the folliage - you need to be cautious about this as you wont be able to see the lilies from the road if they are not tall enough. There is a local church that has tall orange lilies that are a sight to behold. I am starting to love the taller ones. A lavender bitone that is really pretty - and new to me this year - is Hi Ho Silver. It is quite tall and can be easily seen. Really like this one. A pink I adore is Buntyn's Gone Fishin' - a gorgeous ruffled pink. I love pinks too - my favorites are Blue Pink Beauty and Gone Fishin'. I got Pink Aloha, after lusting it for a long time, this year and although I really like it - it cant hold a candle to these other two pinks. A white shaded pink that is new to me this year that I adore is Karin Cooke. Fancy Dancer is a white edged pale pink that is beautiful. Jitterbug Blues, now blooming for me, is a beautiful lavender and it blooms well above the folliage - really like this one!

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions, alameda. It's funny because I found a picture of Palace Garden Beauty the other day and I was thinking I really need to get that one. Later, I decided to pull out the list of what I already have and it was on there. I go out and look at it everyday, but I just didn't remember what it was. I love, love, love Gone Fishin'. Even if I don't put it in the front yard, I think I really need that one. What is it about Blue Pink Beauty that you like more than Pink Aloha? They both look so pretty. OMG, and Karin Cooke...love it. This is what happens when I start looking at pictures of pink/lavendars, I can't pick just one.