Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yearly upkeep?

Posted by shw104 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 20, 11 at 10:12

I planted day lilies 5 years ago. They seem to be growing very well, however, the last two years they have not gotten as many flowers. The lilies appear to be healthy and are slowly spreading. I have not fertilized them since they were planted. Should I be and if so, when and how much? Do I need to be doing anything else with them after years of growth? They are growing in various location in my mulch beds.

Thank you for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yearly upkeep?

I an't tell you what you should do, but I fertizize mine as soon as the the leaves are up good and the plant has started growing each early spring with alfalfa meal. Then 3 to 4 weeks later, they get fish emulsion, Then a month or so later they get a Miracle Grow, and my last fertilization before bloom will be whatever I decide at the time. Here, They also require (and didn't get it soon enough or often enough) spray for thrips.Someone else will answer, and they are sure to have a totally different plan.

kay

o
RE: Yearly upkeep?

Some varieties perform better if divided every three or four years - that is most common problem when it comes to blooming. Daylilies also bloom better in full sun or so I've read maybe true as I have some that are lush & green but not many blooms due to being in the shade. I don't fertilize as I used to do and I can see a difference. Gonna do better with this next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here