Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Rainy, rainy Sunday photos

shive
10 years ago

This is so unfair. The forecast called for rain by afternoon, not before 7 a.m., and then again at 8:15. It really spoiled my morning plans for weeding, mulching and chopping. Here are a few that withstood two torrential downpours.

DESTINED TO SEE opened with triplets

WHEEL OF TIME

GILDED BY GRACE had its largest bloom so far. While the earlier ones were in the 4 inch range, this one is 5 inches or more.

Here's LORD OF THE WIND from yesterday. The thrips made the sepals a bit splotchy.

Seedling Redefined Design X Blue Eyed Bandit, also from yesterday.

Persian Shield - I just love the foliage on this plant and was lucky to find one again this year.

Goldilocks Rudbeckia - I used to grow this from seed before I became obsessed with daylilies. I was glad to find it in a container planting at KMart.

I'll end with the always lovely PATRICIA SNIDER MEMORIAL from this morning. She sure knows how to light up a flowerbed!

Debra in soggy, soggy Nashville

Comments (14)

• mnclerk
    10 years ago

Destined to See and Lord of the Wind are my favorites - but man, that Persian Shield is awesome!

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

I know what you mean about the rain, Debra. We have had rain showers that weren't supposed to come in until this p.m. so I was running around trying to shield the camera as best I could and still get pictures which I will post shortly. Love all of these, especially the Destined To See Triplets. I really like that seedling and with the pic of Persian Shield underneath it seemed to really play off each other. PSM is wonderful, as always. Avedon

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Ouch! Weather is never fair, is it. It is always a pleasure a plant produces bigger blooms. Gilded by Grace is lovely. That seedling of yours is my favorite. I really like it. Beautiful blue eye.

I have got to get outside and do a little work myself. And it is supposed to rain today and tomorrow. Rats!
    kay

• sann777
    10 years ago

All are very pretty, but I like Destined To See, Gilded by Grace and P.S. Memorial. Your Rudbeckia is very nice. Jap. Beatles eat mine up. Sarah

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Beautiful daylily blooms. I love that Goldilocks Rudbeckia but that is just the most STUNNING picture of Persian Shield.

• deangreen
    10 years ago

really like that cross.. light blue with lavender and a stripe of pink between them, very nice! and that reminds me I need to find some purple shield for my yard again this year. :)

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mnclerk and Rita - Persian Shield is wonderful for a part shade place.The first year I had it, I took cuttings and grew them inside over the winter under grow lights I gave my mother one of those, and she still has it. During the winter, she brings it inside to a sun room. The cuttings are very easy to root.

Debra

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

beautiful photos debra, love that seedling, its gorgeous. and like Goldilocks, tooI don't usually care for them flowers because the peddles droop on them, but, yours is a pretty one.
    DESTINED TO SEE is my favorite one., they sure don't look like thay were in two thunder boomers. gorgeous,

jean

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Lord of the Wind is gorgeous, love the twisting. Really like the colors on that seedling too, such a nice combo with the light blue eye & slight edge. Dean has me looking at the stamens too, may be the photo but they look like they match :)

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

I always enjoy the rainy photos. I think Lord of the Wind is going to be spectacular -- love that form.

Beautiful seedling, too, with that pastel blue eye.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy - I'm not sure about the stamen of the seedling. I'll take a look on the next one. The backs have blue tint in the photo, but I think they're probably off white or cream.

Debra

• mizellie
    10 years ago

You were fortunate to get such good photo's. I went out early before church and got a few. Some weren't open yet and when I got home, the rains came..in buckets so everyone I didn't take a photo of, was beat to death.

Destined To See looks really good and Gilded By Grace is strutting. A 5" bloom is a really good one on her. As always, PSM does light things up and Lord Of The Wind is a favorite here. Ellie

• TNY78
    10 years ago

Love your Blue Eyed Bandit cross! I had Persian Shield a couple of years ago and it never came back after winter...really pretty foliage though :)

The rain ruined my plans for planting today too. Although it didn't rain in the morning, it was pouring buckets by 2pm! Looks like I may be potting up some of the daylies in my garage that I was planning on planting today.

Tammy

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Destined to See is my favorite today. I also really like your seedling it's my favorite colors.
    Linda

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022