Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Monday Marvel in the Seedling Bed

shive
10 years ago

Very seldom do seed crosses produce what you hoped they would. This one - SHORES OF TIME x ROSY RHINO did.

Like its mama, it has a bottom petal that doesn't want to fully open and lay down flat until it's warmed in the sun awhile. This one had its ffo on the day I returned from my trip. Here's what it looked like after an intensely muggy 91 degree day.

Into the Mystic X Symphony of Praise is one of my best budded seedlings this year, 4-way branching with 24-26 buds per scape, and instant rebloom!

Here's a look at the blue and white part of the seedling bed:

Debra

Comments (17)

• jkayd_il5
    10 years ago

Shores of Time has always been one of my favorites but I think I like the Into the Mystic seedling the best. That big green throat gets me every time. I so enjoy your pictures so keep them coming.

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Number Two is my pick, it's lovely. Avedon

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Very nice seedlings.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jkayd and Avedon - Good pick. That one has a nice bloom and an excellent plant under it.

Rita - Thanks for your feedback!

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

All nice Debra but Into the Mystic X Symphony of Praise is quite eye catching. I wonder where the colors are coming from since SOP is pink and ITM is a more off lavender (?) and neither appears to have those eye traits in the lineage.
    The mysteries of daylilies ;-)

I have a couple of seedlings with SOP as the pollen parent but it was crossed with Laura Nyro.

Julia

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Debra, you have been showing some really nice seedlings this year. Clumps aren't fair to judge by since they just overwhelm you with repeated beauty. But that green throat gets me. I really like the color of the first one, and the blue and whit and white are delicate and lovely, but greedy me, I love that clump!
    kay

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Julia - Into the Mystic does have a violet lavender halo. I guess that color got passed on to the seedling. I never expected to get such a perfectly round seedling from that cross. It's like Forest Gump said, hybridizing is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you're going to get.

Kay - Yes, it's hard not to be drawn to the multiple blooms. But I couldn't resist showing the flower placement on that scape.

Debra

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Your orchid seedling is beautiful. If you can continue to breed the splotchiness out of Rosey Rhino, I think you'll have a winner!

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

How did Symphony of Praise perform this year?

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mantis - Symphony of Praise just started blooming over the weekend. So far, so good. Bud count is not good this year because the burning bushes in back of SOP and several other daylilies have grown so large and are shading the daylilies for too many hours. I have trimmed the bushes now, but in May they did not get full sun when the scapes were forming.

Debra

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Oh you have blue & white seedling bed too!
    All seedlings are beautiful and my favorite is the first one. How old is it?

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris - I was really happy that the Shores of Time X Rosy Rhino baby looked as blemish free as it did. Nasty thrips were crawling all over the buds last night.

Debra

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

You have some really fine seedlings. I can't decide which one I like best -- they are equallly lovely.

Nancy

• houstmag
    10 years ago

What a great group of seedlings my favorite has to be your Into the Mystic seedling I love the color.
    Linda

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

I like all your seedlings but especially the first 2. My favorite of them has to be the first one though. Marg

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

The Into the Mystic seedling is lovely and of course the plant habit really impresses me-- lots of flowers, but they aren't running into each other. You really have some great seedlings this year.
    Val

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Nat - The first seedling is a two-year-old and a first-time bloomer. Because of last year's drought, it's still just one fan.

Debra