Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Appliques, bold yellows and the tooth

shive
10 years ago

We had overnight storms and early morning rains here. so the blooms were covered in raindrops again. It was a big day applique patterns. Applique, Aerial Applique and Lavender Echoes all had their first flowers open this morning. Unfortunately LE had serious thrip distortion.

APPLIQUE

AERIAL APPLIQUE

FREE WHEELIN'

SACRED GROUND ffo

BILL NORRIS clump with three poly and three single

In the seedling bed, I found a surprise. Smooth Jazz X Mort Morss had a gigantic white tooth on its ffo, and a double edge was visible. I made the cross in the hopes of getting a toothy seedling, but last year no teeth appeared - onlly a narrow white edge. On closer inspection, I found some more tiny white teeth and some lavender blue ones too. I'm wondering what will happen to the dental work when it heats up. This was a cool night for us.

Seedling Smooth Jazz X Mort Morss

Smooth Jazz X Mort Morss last year - I think it's getting better!

Debra

Comments (14)

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

wow, Debra, you got some beauties here.Love the colors in the first one, just not fond of the form. I love that sacred ground.its a beauty. also really like the seedlings.

jean

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

That seedling s something! Very pretty. Bill Norris is a special one too. beautiful color and nice clump. They all look really nice. I like your seedling the best though.
    kay

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Free Wheeling and Bill Norris get thumbs up from me. The gold color of Bill really glows......Maryl

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

I just love that clump of Bill Norris. Beautiful!

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

I agree, the clump of Bill Norris is outstanding. Love the raindrops. None of them are melting ;-).

Julia

• kathy9norcal
    10 years ago

They are all really pretty. Especially the seedling.

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

A stellar performance by Bill Norris! How has Aerial Applique performed for you?

• mizellie
    10 years ago

The appliqued ones are really poppin for you! I love your seedling and the pattern has improved a lot. The color is deeper too! Nice...Ellie

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mantis - Aerial Applique has been a good performer. In the previous two seasons, it has had 16-20 buds per scape and rebloomed. This year bud count is 13-16, It does better with bud count than most Lambertsons I grow. The applique pattern is very pronounced on most blooms, unlike other appliques I grow. I recommend it.

Debra

• houstmag
    10 years ago

What a nice improvement on your seedling I love the color. Bill Norris is stunning what a bloomer.
    Linda

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

What a show from Bill Norris. I think your seedling might be the best of the group for me.

Your photos of appliques made me realize how few I grow. What's your best performer?

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris - Applique, Aerial Applique, Always Applique and Star of India are all stellar performers in every way. Catcher In the Eye and Beyond the Sea are average here. Awesome Applique, Mexican Magic, Faberge, and Regal Fantasy are somewhat tender, and they do not do well after wet cold winters. Visionary and Lavender Echoes are still both in pots and haven't been here long enough to judge. But those two are really more hybridizer's flowers. I wouldn't recommend them as garden flowers. Visionary has a funky beige petal color, and Lavender Echoes has a form I don't care for. I've have a couple others that were new last year that haven's bloomed yet.

Debra

• lynxe
    10 years ago

"How has Aerial Applique performed for you?"

I'll second what Debra said abut AERIAL APPLIQUE. Mine is in its second full year here, and I bought it locally, from someone who had enough in the clump to sell to me.

Mine's already bloomed, and one of the very first here to do so. But I've been told that what I had was a rebloom scape that developed last year. So perhaps that means once it's settled in, I'll have rebloom in the same year? There are new scapes on it now, both quite a bit taller than the rebloom scape.

The color on the first flower was rather icky, to put it mildly. But the subsequent few were very nice, pretty much like in Debra's image.

Also, I should mention that it's planted in a bed next to the house and a stone patio, i.e., in a microclimate that I think could be at least a full zone higher than other parts of the garden. (A forgotten calla lily overwintered here once.) OTOH, the person from whom I bought it grows all his daylilies in a "normal" bed.

Chris, the only other one among Debra's applique collection that I grow is APPLIQUE, and that one has been really nice. Especially after I got it out of its pot and actually planted it in the garden. ;)

I just have to get BILL NORRIS. I saw it years & years ago, at Darrel Apps's Woodside Nursery, fell in love with it...and still don't have it.

• deangreen
    10 years ago

those first two are really interesting. nice pics...

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions