Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

First large daylily open here is

shive
10 years ago

MOONLIT MASQUERADE, which opened a couple days earlier than I thought it would. Bud count on this one is pitiful this year - 4 to 7 buds per scape. I guess this is the after effect of last year's drought. MM always used to be my first large daylily open, but Aerial Applique and Patricia Snider Memorial beat it the past two years.

Comments (11)

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Debra, MM is still a pretty flower, and know how disappointed you are with the low bud count. The drought probably is to blame for that. Will be looking forward to seeing more of your pictures, now that bloom time has started for you. Avedon

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

It is really pretty, Debra.Minw hasn't done much of anything, until now,and its strutting its stuff this year.Previous years,blooms was very small, but this year the blooms are real nice..Looking forward to seeing your photos and all your pretty blooms.

jean

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Very pretty Debra. It's a lboom I always really like. I am not having an extremely pleasant year so far with the blooms in foliage ans the slug and thrip damage. I have noticed a few rather low bud counts too. Life in a garden, I guess.
    kay

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Moonlit Masquerade always reblooms here. I hope that last year's drought is not going to affect this year's blooms. Bad harbinger.

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 22:03

• mizellie
    10 years ago

You are fortunate to have anything blooming. I posted one that bloomed so low that it was hard to get to. I have lots of scapes but no blooms yet. I think it's the cold nights we had that slowed mine down. MM is still a pretty flower and low bud counts is bad for some you are used to have a lot of blooms on. I have lots with minimal buds including Patricia Snyder Memorial. But is was new from you last year and I reset my whole garden. They must be in a pout..Hahaha!! Ellie

• kathy9norcal
    10 years ago

Great shot of it!

• houstmag
    10 years ago

It may have a low bud count but it sure is pretty.
    Linda

• celeste/NH
    10 years ago

I like to know that your daylilies are starting up because your photos are always such a treat.....I'm looking forward to them! I always enjoy MM. Mine has been a dessert for slugs so I'm hoping come bloom time it has something to show me.

Celeste

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kay - A lot of my daylilies - especially the early evergreens have short scapes again this year. I think it must be related to the drought. My hard dormants have lovely, tall scapes. Slugs and thrips are a yearly problem here.

Ellie - Patricia Snider Memorial is one that pouts after being transplanted. Mine looks to have short scapes this time, but bud count ranging from 12-16, which is good for that one.

Celeste - Most of my daylilies have been hard hit by slugs this year.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Gee, I don't know how I missed this post. Looks like your bloom season has started with a nice opening. Looking forward to your pics this season.

I've only noticed some discoloration of foliage when we had that low,low dip in temps and a light frost hit after things started growing here. I'm not sure how the season will be here. Like many, we've been on a roller coaster of temps but lucky so far in getting rain.

Julia

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Pretty first large bloom!
    I had a first flower (on Stella) on 6/1, low in the foliage for some reason. Scapes are juuust beginning