Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Monday's Garden Walk

shive
9 years ago

I rushed out this morning to see a new seedling bloom for the first time, and I was not disappointed. This new pink early morning opener is the perfect blending of the two parents. I'm loving the cool shade of pink, the darker pencil eye, the fabulous ruffling, and the small cream edge.

Natalie Antoinette X Symphony of Praise

Comments (16)

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are some older seedlings from this morning:

Into the Mystic X Symphony of Praise

Shores of Time X Rosy Rhino

Alan Lane Agin X Cosmic Sensation

Sun Bear X Julie Newmar

And now for some registered daylilies. So many daylilies looked good from a distance, but when I got up close the blooms had a few splotches, or the foliage was streaked or starting to brown that I didn't take many photos. Of course, I never got ahead of the weeds this year and the Creeping Charlie and violets have grown like crazy.

MORTICIA

DENA MARIE'S SISTER

BELA LUGOSI

QUEEN OF NARNIA

TWO SUES

OPEN DOOR

Debra

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Debra, you have some beautiful seedlings. My favorite of the bunch is Shores of Time X Rosy Rhino--love the edge and the watermark.

• proteinqueenfccc
    9 years ago

Debra,
    Your seedlings are spectacular, the pinks are so yummy.
    When will you be taking orders?

Heidi

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nan - The Shores of Time X Rosy Rhino seedling was my favorite seedling out of last year's crop. I almost lost it last winter when it rained so much part of the crown and and the roots became exposed. Luckily it has some dormancy in it, so it survived. I really like the deep, saturated color and the triangular watermark. I'm hoping it will eventually have good enough bud count to register. Unfortunately my seedling bed doesn't get full sun anymore so bud counts there are low.

Debra

• timhensley
    9 years ago

Beautiful seedlings.

• gonegardening
    9 years ago

So pretty! I still like Dena Marie's Sister. I know you're enjoying getting up every morning to see your seedlings! What fun! It's great to see what you've got going on.

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

I like your new seedling and I especially like the Rosy Rhino seedling. It looks like you've bred all the blotchiness out of RR and only gotten the good traits.

Your established daylilies are also looking good. Can't believe Two Sues is blooming for you aleady. I'm not sure I even have buds yet. Dena Marie's Sister looks perfect.

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Pretty seedlings and registered! I'd be thrilled to find such a beautiful pink seedling as your first. My fave is SOT sdlg. And from named Queen of Narnia.
    I see a lot of diseased foliage this year :s Let's see how blooms are going to be.

• jkayd_il5
    9 years ago

Beautiful seedlings.

This post was edited by jkayd_il5 on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 10:48

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

You are back in step alright on your garden walk making me lust in my heart. I like the 1st pink seedling especially. The Shores of Time X Rosy Rhino is also pretty darned nice. ....Speaking of pinks, Dena Marie's sister gets my attention, kind of a rose color. My Bela Lugosi looks just like yours. What an awesome daylily. Great picture of it. Queen of Narnia is another one that catches my eye. Is it a pale yellow?......Maryl

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

The Symphony of Praise (NA) seedling is indeed my favorite. It must be at least 6 inches. Yes, I too have many blooms that look good from a distance, but up close, not quite perfection. Well, I am not going to nuke the garden in an effort to eliminate every flaw. Dena Marie's Sister is one prone to splotchiness here, but yours is flawless. Nat, I too have an unusual amount of diseased foliage this year.

• polymerous
    9 years ago

The 'Symphony of Praise' and the 'Sun Bear' seedlings are very nice. If I'm not mistaken that first one is also a bitone? Very pretty!

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Debra, your shots are always beautiful, and your seeding are as well. I especially like the first three seedlings. Open door is a beauty.
    kay

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

Oh my Gosh Debra. You have really outdone yourself today with all these beauties. I love that first seedling. its gorgeous. and so pink. LOve it.and that second seedling is a beauty, too.That Camera you are using sure captures colors very good, expecially these purples. The ROSY RHINO seedling is a beauty.. and I am going to have to get Bela Lugosi.Its so beautiful OPEN DOOR is also a gorgeous one, too, gee, they all made my heart skip a few beats,I think, they are soo pretty..

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all for the seedling comments!

Heidi - It will be a couple years before I can take orders for any of those seedlings posted above. LOL

Chris and Mantis - Dena Marie's Sister is prone to splotchiness here because thrips and other bugs are drawn to that color. Of the three blooms open today, the one I photographed was the best. It does have minimal splotchies at the bottom of the bloom. When you're not up close, the DM blooms look great and the color carries a long way.

Maryl - Dena Marie's Sister is a deep rose coral. When nights are cool Queen of Narnia's color is a very light yellow. When things heat up, it's a cream with pink undertones that bleaches out to very near white as the day progresses.

Polymerous - Time will tell if the first seedling is really a bitone. This time of year with temps in the 90s and no recent rain, some of my registered daylilies have faded sepals from the heat.

Jean - My clump of Bela Lugosi is getting really large. I can send you some fans this fall if you'd like.

Debra

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

Will have to let you know about fans this fall Debra,as There is plans in the works for me for fall,and not sure yet whats going to take place. had a double fan offered to me this last early fall,I think it was,and I had a broken wrist trying to heal then and had to pass on it.but,I am sure wanting a start of that one. its gorgeous.

jean