Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

Finally some daylilies, plus garden scenes

celeste/NH
11 years ago

I have a couple of daylilies that started up ahead of schedule which is no doubt due to being planted late last fall and they're confused. But I'll take them! Right now my gardens are a flurry of activity and I have so many photos to share but lots of my pictures came out too HUGE when I uploaded them to Photobucket. Yikes! I have figured out how to make them smaller but don't have the time to re-do them so I apologize for them being oversized.

I will post more later since every day it gets more colorful out there.

Celeste

LUCKY STREAK, ffo

CAROLYN HUNT, ffo

ROSE SEASON IS UNDERWAY...! Notice the hammock in this

photo. DH put that up so he can enjoy my roses while I do all the work...LOL

{{gwi:760401}}

Comments (22)

• ruthz
    11 years ago

Beautiful pictures.

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Naturally, after I just posted the pictures, I went out and found that Carolyn Hunt had opened her 2nd flower and it looks more like it's supposed to look. So I will show it later on.
    Celeste

• nat4b
    11 years ago

Nice FFOs! I like those early southern ones, though my older ones are opening too at the same time this year.
    Garden pics are great! I especially like the rose by an angel statue, looks pale yellow, and the apricot one.
    Hammock :D And the rose in the front in this pictures is huge! My three roses (including PJPII) are done already. Next time they'll flower to be a breakfast lunch and dinner to you know who :(

• gothiclibrarian
    11 years ago

I'd love to lay in that hammock too!

Which rose is the pink one in the middle in full flush, if you don't mind my asking?

I won't embarrass myself by guessing, lol!

Cheers!
    ~Anika

Here is a link that might be useful: GothicLibrarian.net

• lesmc
    11 years ago

Oh Celeste, it is always a treat to stroll thru your garden. I am always amazed at the amount of plants you care for. Your roses are so lovely, and I love the way you have put together lilies, day lilies and perennials. I hope you are fully recovered cause you must have a lot of work to do to keep up your garden! Can`t wait for more!!!! lesley

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Gosh, I just LOVE rose season in your garden. Each shot is so beautiful. I love the lilies and the salvia. At least I think the blue spikes are salvia. So pretty! LUCKY STREAK is my favorite daylily but the orange red lily clump is my favorite today.

• shive
    11 years ago

Congratulations on your first blooms of the season! Carolyn Hunt is such a pretty bitone! Your roses though are just amazing. On the picture with the lavender roses, is that just one shrub rose that spreads, or several plants put together for a mass of flowers? Do you grow all kinds of roses, or do you mostly have shrub roses or floribundas, or some other kind? I know nothing about roses, so excuse my ignorance. I tried to grow a couple of tea roses here, but Black Spot and attack from Japanese beetles killed them.

Debra

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Just came in to get a drink after weeding all afternoon & thought I'd check in.
    THANK YOU for your comments!

NAT, the compact yellow rose by the kneeling angel statue is called 'Golden Border'. It is an amazing little bloomer. And the color is so cheerful. Will post closeups soon.
    ANIKA, I presume you are asking about the photo where there are 3 pinks? 'Morden Blush' is on the left, center rose is 'Earth Song' and single-petaled rose on the right is 'The Alexandra Rose'.
    RITA, you are correct...that is perennial salvia.
    Thank you, Ruth & Lesley!
    DEBRA, I grow all kinds of roses. Old garden roses, floribundas, shrub roses, hybrid teas, rugosas...you name it, I grow it. I used to have even more roses than I do now, around 300 bushes, but it's a challenge to keep them going here in zone 4/5 AND the onslaught of the japanese beetles every summer finds me more & more discouraged. It is survival of the fittest because I don't winter-protect. It's way too much trouble considering how many I grow. The hybrid teas get cut down the the ground every spring because of the winter dieback but bounce right back.
    The old garden roses are my favorites because they are no-fuss and hardy. They only bloom once, but they are finished before the beetles arrive.

And YES...that lavender rose in the first picture taking up so much space is 'Excellenz Von Schubert' and that is only ONE rosebush. That is my son's favorite of all my roses.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

I can't think of any appropriate superlatives after looking at your photographs. Your roses are breathtaking. Your talent for companion planting is inspiring. I will be back to see these photos again. Thank you.
    Renee

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

GEEZ. YOUR gardens are just gorgeous.Them roses are to die for. just beautiful. it would make me vry sick if beetles came and ate my roses, after I worked to grow them as beautiful as yours are.I forgot about daylilies when I seen these roses..I love them and that BLUE Salvia is so pretty, too.AND, them red l ilies are beautiful.Dont blame hubby for wanting to lay around in the middle of all that beauty and smell the fragra nce of your roses

jean

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Wow, nice grouping of pics. Love all those rose shots but you must spend so much time tending to them. I bet it smells heavenly.

Julia

• deangreen
    11 years ago

great photos! really nice roses. :)

• Cindy zone 6a
    11 years ago

The roses are delightful. The hammock does look like a good place to view the gardens from. I like the large pictures!!!
    Cindy

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

Your garden shots are amazing. I can't imagine how you take care of all those roses as well as all the other plants, but I sure enjoy seeing the results. Everything is so beautiful. Do you ever get a chance to try out the hammock? You must get pretty tired with all the work you do keeping your yard so gorgeous.
    Val

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Everything is so pretty in your yard. I'm with Rita in liking the blue Salvia/rose combination. I also like the foxgloves. They are just made for spring and rose gardens....Maryl

• houstmag
    11 years ago

I agree with the others I would love to lie in that hammock to. Your roses are spectacular and I'll say it again so is your garden.
    Linda

• shive
    11 years ago

I can see why Von Schubert is your son's favorite rosebush. It's so massive and covered all over the with prettiest blooms!

Debra

• polymerous
    11 years ago

Wow, what a garden! @_@

I love that red-white-blue (lily, rose, ? salvia) combination. The rest of the roses are lovely, too.

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another long day working outside & taking care of Mom and my little grandson...but wanted to check in to say THANKS for all your kind comments. I really appreciate all of you. This has to be the nicest & friendliest group of all the forums and the only one I go to anymore. Take care!

Celeste

• njmomma
    11 years ago

Aack! So gorgeous! Love Morden Blush and the peonies and the orange lilies and, well, everything! LOVELY!

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Stupendous Celeste!! The tour was amazing, we all very much appreciate you sharing your gardens with us. Hum... maybe I need to take Gardening 101 all over again. lol So very inspiring, gorgeous, breathtaking...

A hammock is on my to get list also. We'll see how many band-
    aids get used with my kids flipping it over. lol
    Rena'

• Nancy
    11 years ago

I missed a day looking at everyone's posts, & keep finding a thread I didn't see. I'm so glad I didn't totally miss your pictures, your garden is certainly wonderful.